How to Decorate With the Chevron Pattern!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Lately chevron patterns have been blowing up my Pinterest feed. Whether it’s on clothing, walls or crafts, this pattern is everywhere. I keep seeing links to supposed tutorials, and when I click on these links, nothing shows up. After many frustrated searches, I decided to make my own canvas chevron tutorial.

What you’ll need:

A canvas (any size will work)

Painter’s tape

Paint Brushes

Scissors

Ruler

Pencil

Paint

Glitter (optional)

Step 1. Take your ruler and place it diagonally across the canvas. Then, with your pencil, trace a straight line. Depending on how many “ups” and “downs” you want, you can change the angle of your ruler.

Step 2. Repeat step one but with your diagonal lines going the opposite direction. Your canvas should look like it has a diamond pattern on it.

Step 3. Cut your painters tape into small strips and place it on the canvas to make a “V” pattern. When all of your tape is placed, take your pencil and erase all of the pencil lines that are not covered with tape.

Step 4. Paint between the tape. No white should be showing.

Step 5. Peel the tape and erase the pencil marks shown.

Step 6. Use white paint to touch up the canvas. If you want to add some sparkle when your white paint is still wet, pour glitter over it and then hairspray the entire canvas to seal the glitter in.

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.