Hillary Haaker On The Run For A Good Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Sophomore Hillary Haaker ran the Disney Miracle Marathon Saturday, Jan. 7 to benefit the kids at Camp Barnabas. She tells Her Campus Mizzou about her experience with the camp and what inspired her during those long runs.

Her Campus Mizzou: Tell us a little bit about the cause behind the marathon and why you chose to support it. Was it a cause close to your heart or something you’ve always wanted to do?

Hillary Haaker: My sister and I volunteered at this summer camp called Camp Barnabas in high school. The camp is in Purdy, Mo., and has been fully adapted for kids with any disability to go and have a regular camp experience. It is such an inspiring place full of love and joy. It’s where kids get to be kids. That’s their slogan, and it’s very accurate. My sister was just looking up races one day and saw that we could raise money to support our favorite camp and run at Disney World. She had never run a race, and I had done two half-marathons previously, so it was very spontaneous. We just said, “Let’s go big.” Unfortunately, she hurt herself early on and did that half while I did the full.

HCM: How long did you train?

HH: We trained for four months from Labor Day to New Year’s Day.

HCM: Did you ever consider giving up? What were some of your sources of inspiration and motivation?

HH: I wouldn’t say I ever thought about giving up, but there were plenty of early mornings where I had to ask myself why on earth I was waking up this early to go run 16 or 20 miles. The kids at camp were definitely a big inspiration. I wanted to run for the kids who couldn’t even walk and the ones that are wheelchair-bound.

HCM: What were you thinking as you crossed the finish line?

HH: As I crossed the finish line, I was just in awe. I could not believe I actually did it. Then I made my way to the medical tent for some ice and hobbled to get my medal. It is such a cool medal.

HCM: Do you have any advice for aspiring runners?

HH: My advice for runners is if they plan on racing, remember that everyone is envious of how far you can run regardless of how slow it is. You should really be able to enjoy every track workout, hill workout, long run, etc. If you can’t enjoy it, why do it?

HCM: What are the top songs on your running playlist?

HH: “Who Gon Stop Me” by Kanye West and Jay Z, “Gold on the Ceiling” by The Black Keys and “Kick Drum Heart” by The Avett Brothers.

HCM: Do you plan on running any races in the near future?

HH: I don’t have any plans yet because I am studying abroad [in Scotland], but I know that I want to do future marathons and races. Hopefully, I can get in some scenic 5Ks or 10Ks while I am there.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!