Her Travels: 15 Things You Don’t Know About London!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

‘Ello collegiettes!

I am allowed to talk like a Brit because I’m studying in London, right? I have been here almost a month and am both interning at a weekly magazine and taking classes in England’s capital.

I have always labeled myself as an anglophile because I am obsessed with British culture, and no, that isn’t only because I love the literature. But, as you might imagine, I have learned so much more about this great city while I’ve been here than I could’ve ever known before.

I’ve decided to share some of the top surprising things I’ve learned about London in my first month here. After all, London isn’t all tea and fish n’ chips (though there are a lot of those).

1.  Less than half of the people who live in London are British. There are more than 300 languages spoken in London, which is more than any other country in the world!

2.  British accents sound intellectual, right? But like many foreigners, they talk very fast. It’s been more difficult than I thought to decipher the slang and everyday speech of the people I’m talking to. When in doubt, say “cheers.”

3.  People in England don’t consider themselves to be “British.” They consider themselves English; just as people in Ireland consider themselves Irish and people from Wales are Welsh.

4.  People in England also don’t consider themselves to be part of Europe. Weird, right? However, Europe is “the continent” and the English say they are in the United Kingdom.

5.  Museums in London are free! There are more than five museums that are completely free to the public. It costs absolutely nothing to get within inches of Cleopatra’s tomb and the Rosetta stone.

6.  Londoners do not know how to deal with snow. There was essentially a snowpocalypse here when it snowed 8 cm. (That’s 3 inches for those unfamiliar with the metric system). The snow made national news, the tube shut down (even though it’s underground) and many people stayed home from work. Snow day!

7.  People are silent on the Tube. You can hear a pin drop, except of course when you encounter a drunk man who likes to sing a made-up song at 9 am on a Monday morning. Otherwise, people hardly speak above a whisper.

8.  Londoners put milk in their tea. Maybe this isn’t new to some of you, but keep in mind that they also only use whole milk. Skim is a special request.

9.  Peanut butter is also impossible to find. Instead, nutella is the spread of choice.

10.  Taxi drivers must pass an exam in which they have to prove they know every single street in London before they can legally drive a cab. No wonder cabs are so expensive! These guys really know where they’re going.

11.  Policemen here don’t carry guns. In an attempt to discourage commoners from carrying firearms (which are completely illegal here), policemen are also unarmed.

12.  Pepper spray is considered a weapon. If you’re found with it on you, a policeman can arrest you!

13.  The burgers have horsemeat. This isn’t intentional (hopefully) but it’s making national news. Horsemeat has been found in burgers from the grocery store chain Tesco and even at (insert dramatic music here) Burger King!

14.  People swear more here. F-bombs are just a common part of the vernacular, even in the office!

15.  Fish n chips isn’t the national dish. It’s actually chicken tikka masala, which is said to have Indian origins. This national dish proves how international London really is. 

Photo Credits:

visitlondon.com – thepioneerwoman.com – blog.londonconnection.com 

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.