This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

For more than 20 years, one celebrity has had immense control over the Halloween season. She’s thrown extravagant parties and worn some of the most iconic costumes in Hollywood history. When it comes to Oct. 31, there’s one person who does it like nobody else – model Heidi Klum.

The history of Klum’s Halloween reign began at the turn of the century, when she threw her first party. She dressed as German storybook character Heidi meets dominatrix. Since then, both Klum’s costumes and parties have exploded in attention. She’s hosted a party almost every year and each one elevates itself from the last.

Klum described her costume policy to the Hollywood Reporter in 2018. “The costumes get bigger and better every year, and that’s because guests know they won’t get in unless they bring it,” Klum says.

And she’s not joking. In 2001 Klum began implementing a “no costume, no entry” policy after she saw people without proper garb at her first party the year prior.

The rule doesn’t seem as crazy when you go back and look at her accumulation of costumes. Klum blew up the internet last year after her costume, which took her two years of planning and thousands of dollars, came to life:a worm. 

The outfit involving a prosthetic cocoon was made by Mike Marino. Not only did the costume restrict Klum’s use of her arms, but she also did her red carpet interviews while placed horizontally on the ground.

“I called [Marino] and said, ‘Make me a worm,’ and he said, ‘Huh?’ He initially did not want to do it and kept encouraging me to think of a new idea,” Klum says. “However, I am not like that: When I fall in love with an idea, I do not want to pivot.”

A worm is one of many of Klum’s looks that have shocked audiences. In 2018 the supermodel swapped out her blonde hair for ginger, along with some green skin, for her Fiona costume from the movie “Shrek.” But in 2016 she showed up only wearing boots and a bodysuit – six times. That year Klum hired five women to wear prosthetics resembling her and walk as Klum’s personal clones.

These legendary looks have people questioning what the Halloween queen will be wearing this year on Oct. 31. While she hasn’t officially announced her costume, we did get some hints. On Oct. 5 Klum made a post on Instagram of an artist drawing a horror movie poster with her face on it with the title “Heidi Klum Halloween Coming Soon.” This may suggest the TV star is going for a spookier approach this year.

Regardless if she comes out as an ogre, an invertebrate or herself times six, Klum is sure to have eyes watching her on Halloween night.
“I love the transformation of Halloween,” Klum said. “People wear costumes, and with that, shed some insecurities of everyday life.”

Maddox Karnes is a new member of her campus and is a freshman studying journalism at the University of Missouri. He enjoys writing and reading about pop culture and fashion. In his free time he can often be found watching reality tv such as Dance Moms, RuPaul's Drag Race, and survivor.