Gender Neutral Housing: Check Yes or No

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

A new tradition might be coming to MU in the form of gender-neutral housing. Residence Life is currently exploring the option of co-ed rooms and has set a tentative decision date for the fall of 2013.

More than 80 universities in the country offer this option to students. The University of Michigan and Chicago are among schools in the Midwest that offer gender-neutral housing. Many of these universities offer this housing option for students who are transitioning to or who are members of the LGBTQ community. Many universities recognize that these students might feel uncomfortable living with someone of the same gender and offer the gender-neutral option.

This option could be well received on a campus as large and diverse as MU. MU’s effort to make resources like the LGBTQ center widely available to students shows how hard the university works to make all students feel welcome here. The option of gender-neutral housing, while not specifically for LBGTQ students, would only be a further extension of efforts that are already being made in this area.

While some students might feel more comfortable living in an environment with someone of the opposite gender, some might find the situation a little too close for comfort. Because some students will not make the choice to live in a gender-neutral environment, it might be better for gender-neutral and non-gender neutral communities to be separated. This could mean sanctioning off floors or sections of floors that are specific to each type of living community.

If separated into their own living area, students who wish to live in a gender-neutral community can feel like they are truly living in a community of others who also have the same preference. The same situation applies to those who wish to live with someone of the same gender. With this system, interaction between students could still be encouraged while a sense of privacy is maintained.

In this year of much change, the Mizzou student body has already proven to be adaptable and accepting. Despite the decision, this campus is ready for whatever comes its way!

Photo Credits:
http://www.etherice.com/rmx/rmx.php?x=mizzou_new_halls&m=2&p=1&i=4

Allison Goldberg is a junior at the University of Missouri double majoring in strategic communication journalism with an emphasis in PR and marketing and psychology. In Columbia, she is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha women's fraternity executive council and is a Rent the Runway campus rep. During her spare time you can find her shopping, spending time with her friends and family, running outside or reading a fashion magazine. Allison has interned at a social media firm, BCV Evolve in Chicago for the past two summers. She hopes to work for a fashion PR firm in Chicago or New York when she graduates and eventually travel to South America.