This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Ahh, the sweet world of anime. With its wonderful colors and over-the-top reactions to daily events and catering to any and every group of humor. But if you’re new to anime, it can definitely be confusing and time-consuming to sift through every genre and find something you like. No worries, slightly obsessed anime lover here to help you find the best shows for girls! Warning: the following anime list is majority English subtitled.

1. Ouran High School Host Club (Ōran Kōkō Hosuto Kurabu桜蘭高校ホスト部)

Source

This show follows Haruhi Fujioka, a transfer student who finds herself roped into the dramatic and hilarious “Host Club” at her prestigious academy. The twist: it’s a club full of guys who mistake her for a boy! It’s full of constant romance plots, hilarious interactions and a club run by handsome men. The anime is available in English and Japanese depending on your preference.

2. My Sweet Tyrant (Akkun to Kanojo, あっくんとカノジョ)

Link to Episode

My Sweet Tyrant is literally the cutest show ever. It follows a high school couple (Akkun and Nontan) and the contradictory aspects of their relationship. Even though Akkun’s cold and distant on the outside, he’s nuts about his girlfriend. Each episode is only 2 to 3 minutes long, but they’re hilarious enough to completely binge in a single day. Not to mention the drawing style is so cute!

3. Say “I Love You” (Suki-tte ii na yo好きっていいなよ) Source

One of my personal favorites. The plot is simple: girl (Tachibana Mei) wants to be left alone when the most popular guy in school (Yamato Kurosawa) falls for her and the story revolves around their romance dynamic. Characters from their past are thrown in and ultimately shake up the romance on both sides. If you’re in the mood for an intense romance anime on a Saturday night then look no further!

4. Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid (Kobayashi-san Chi no Meidoragon小林さんちのメイドラゴン)

Link to Episode

How do I explain this show in a way that won’t make me sound like a complete fangirl? I can’t. A romance anime with a fantasy twist, Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid tells the story of a woman who unknowingly befriends a dragon while drunk and offers her a place to stay. Tohru accepts her offer and their adventure begins. Seeing a girl, who is truly a dragon in the human world, trying to fit in is both hilarious to watch and intriguing. While the show is great for laughs, it also poses the idea that “you truly belong wherever your heart is”. Meeting the entire cast is a must, each one (human and dragon alike) are adorable, hilarious, and interesting characters all around.

Mizzou alumni with a passion for writing
HC Contributer Mizzou