Fashion at Your Fingertips: Google Boutiques

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

I love my worn-in Tigers hoodie and soft-as-sweats jeans as much as the next Mizzou collegiette™. The combination is full of school spirit and always in style. But this go-to look can be (for lack of a better word) … boring. How to change up your wardrobe, you ask? Look no further than Boutiques.com!

“Boutiques.com is by far my favorite fashion blog,” sophomore Kate Carter says. “From designer pages to celebrity style profiles, this site has it all.”

Google’s latest invention is an interactive website that merges online shopping and social networking. Sign up for a free account, and choose the designers, styles, colors and shapes that you love and hate. Using a complex algorithm, the site then shows you clothes that match your preferences. Create your own virtual store where you can filter results and “follow” your favorite boutiques.

When you find something you love, click to see the visually similar items. Feel free to explore your expensive tastes and search for the best values. Being a college student doesn’t always mean looking like one! And with everything from Claire Danes to casual chic to clogs, the options are endless.

A few boutiques every Mizzou gal should know about:

College Fashion

The bloggers at collegefashion.net classify their clothes as casual chic, classic and edgy. Brands like American Eagle Outfitters, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters and American Apparel offer readily available and often more affordable options. “A lot of the items featured on college fashion are things that I would want to buy and are similar to what my friends wear after class,” senior Emily Becker says.

Skinny jeans and not-so-plain white tees are the quintessential college girl’s uniform. Take your ensemble up a notch with a patterned scarf. Consider alternatives to Uggs. Why not step outside the box with suede booties or leather riding boots? Leggings and tights work great with these types of boots. (Just make sure your top covers your butt – even if you put in long hours at the Rec!)

Chunky Knits

Layering is an easy way to replace your old Mizzou sweatshirt. Neutrals such as brown, cream, black and gray are the most popular right now. Don’t mistake these colors for being frumpy. Intricate cable knits, slims belts and wooden toggles keep these oversize sweaters chic. Fabrics like cashmere and wool make knits both pretty and practical. You’ll stay warm during Columbia’s frigid February. And if spring comes early, your chunky sweater can double as a coat.

Mad About Mad Men

After four critically acclaimed seasons of “Mad Men,” romantic, ladylike pieces are back and better than ever. “Showing clothes that fit a certain trend or genre but also clothes from all different stores is a very convenient way to shop online,” law student Lauren Whitaker says. “I like that I wouldn’t have to check a million different Web sites when looking for something that is stylistically specific, like vintage, ‘Mad Men’ inspired pieces.”

Cardigans and sheath dresses can be dressed up or down. Put them together and add Grandma’s pearl earrings for a girls’ night at the Piano Bar. Or wear a sweater set and whip your hair into a bouffant. This classic style is guaranteed to turn heads on campus. Not sure about what to wear to your upcoming formal? Then do like the lovely Betty, Joan and Peggy, and go retro!

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.