Everything you need to know before the newest Hunger Games installment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Eight years after the conclusion of the original “Hunger Games” movies, Panem is returning to the big screen with “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.” Starring Rachel Zegler and Tom Blyth, the film is based on the 2020 novel by Suzanne Collins and premieres in U.S. theaters Nov. 17. 

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” acts as a prequel to the original installments, taking place 64 years before the games of Katniss Everdeen. The movie is set to follow the story of a young Coriolanus Snow, portrayed by Blyth and District 12 tribute Lucy Gray Baird, portrayed by Zegler, during the 10th annual Hunger Games. Throughout the course of the newest installment to the franchise, trailers promise fans insight into Snow’s rise to political tyranny and a look into the evolution of the Hunger Games. Working alongside Blyth and Zegler to bring the prequel to life is Viola Davis as Dr. Volumnia Gaul, Hunter Schafer as Tigris Snow and Peter Dinklage as Casca Highbottom. Joining the star-studded cast for a return to the arena is director Francis Lawrence, who directed three of the original “Hunger Games” movies.

The promotion for “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” has been well under way. The film has had premiere events in both London and Berlin, and with an interim agreement from SAG-AFTRA prior to the strike’s official end, the film’s stars have been able to participate. Most notable to fans have been Zegler’s red carpet fashion, with some drawing comparisons between Zegler’s Berlin premiere dress and Everdeen’s fire dresses in the original films. Along with the Berlin comparison, Zegler’s London premiere dress is reminiscent of one of Everdeen’s “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” looks. 

Thanks to the early premieres of “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” there’s already buzz about the film on X. Spoiler alert: it’s overwhelmingly positive. Overall, it seems like fans can rest assured that “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” will only enhance the franchise. 

If Friday is too long to wait, don’t worry. Theaters across the country are doing early showings, with both Regal Columbia and GQT Forum 8 having showings of the film a day early.

With a projected box office debut of $50 million, this movie isn’t one to miss. Make sure to grab a ticket to return to the arena, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Allie Tribe

Mizzou '27

Hi! My name is Allie Tribe and I'm a freshman majoring in journalism. I'm from Decatur, TX and I like to read, listen to music, and spend too much money on anything that's seasonal. MIZ!