Eat This, Not That: Super Bowl Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Super Bowl Sunday is practically an American holiday, and as with any other holiday, we eat plenty of food to celebrate. It’s possible to enjoy all the festivities without going overboard. Remember it’s all about moderation. Make sure you eat something substantial; you need your energy to cheer! Don’t just fill up on appetizers. Instead pick a few little snacks and save room for a burger, wings or a sub sandwich. If you simply can’t choose a main course, just monitor your portion sizes.

Chips and dips are staples of any get together, especially a Super Bowl party. It’s easy to lose track of how many chips you’ve eaten, and those calories can really add up. Dean’s French Onion Dip contains 60 calories per serving, which is about two tablespoons. Those Lay’s Wavy potato chips you’re dipping? One serving, about 11 chips, will set you back 160 calories.

Try dipping carrots or broccoli in Dean’s Light French Onion Dip. The light version has only 35 calories per serving. The veggies are of course low-cal, plus they have vitamins and minerals. This semi-healthy appetizer will satisfy you, and you’re getting a serving of vegetables!

Rather than indulging in a cupcake, opt for some chocolate-covered strawberries. They’ll satisfy your sweet tooth, and you’ll save some serious calories! Plus who can resist these adorable chocolate-covered strawberry footballs?
Nom on a turkey burger instead of a normal beef burger. Turkey is a leaner meat with fewer calories, less fat and just as much protein. Pile on some lettuce, tomato and mustard for a satisfying and guilt-free burger!

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!