Eat This Not That: Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

At Mizzou it feels like the entire month of October is dedicated to eating various sweet treats. From the pink-studded chocolate chip cookies that support breast cancer awareness to the candy-filled booths at various Alcohol Responsibility Month events, temptation lurks around every corner.

Of course the biggest temptation comes at the end of October with Halloween. Luckily with a few tips from Her Campus Mizzou on what to avoid, this Halloween can be (somewhat) guilt-free.

There are two tips to stick to if you hope to avoid overeating Halloween candy. First, always go for the individually packaged fun-size candy. Not only does it have built-in portion control, but unwrapping each individual candy also slows you down and makes you avoid mindless snacking. Second, the longer lasting the candy, the less you’ll eat. Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums and Gobstoppers take longer to eat, which will stop you from taking seconds.

If you’re craving chocolate:
Eat this: Three fun-size 3 Musketeers have a reasonable 190 calories, so they make the perfect chocolaty snack when you don’t want to feel weighed down.
Not that: One fun-size Butterfinger packs in 100 calories and 11 percent of your daily recommended saturated fat intake.

If you want peanuts and chocolate:
Eat this: One fun-size package of Peanut M&M’s has 100 calories, and nuts contain good-for-you fats that help fill you up.
Not that: Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkins have a higher peanut butter to chocolate ratio than normal peanut butter cups. One pumpkin has 180 calories, and it’s not worth the splurge.

If you’re craving something crunchy:
Eat this: A mini Kit Kat bar has only 52 calories and delivers just enough crunch.
Not that: The two pieces in a snack-size Take 5 pack in 210 calories. The combination of pretzels, peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate and caramel adds up to a total calorie bomb.

Some other good options:
Eat this:

1. Junior Mints
  2. Candy corn
  3. Tootsie Rolls
  4. Smarties
  5. Twizzlers
Vanessa Meuir is senior majoring in magazine journalism and English. She was born in St. Louis, MO and raised in Columbia, MO where she now attends school. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus Mizzou, she works in Mizzou's athletics department and serves as a writing tutor for students on campus. She has gained most of her journalistic experience while writing and blogging for the Columbia Missourian, a local newspaper, and Vox magazine, a student-run campus magazine. She also gained some publishing experience while interning at The Missouri Review, a literary magazine. When Vanessa is not working or in class, she enjoys maintaining a personal blog that comments on reality television, spending time with her five roommates, reading and dabbling in amateur photography. Among her favorite things are diet coke, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Disney Channel and fuzzy socks.