Eat This Not That: CoMo Restaurant Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

One of the most excited aspects of living in a college town is the ability to choose from dozens of restaurants within walking distance from campus. However, if you and your friends aren’t carefully choosing what to eat, the Mizzou 22 can easily sneak up on you (even with the state-of-the-art- rec!) Try our Her Campus healthy options so you can still fit in your skinny jeans!

Starbucks

Nothing’s more tempting than the hit the ‘bucks for a caffeine run. However, if you’re not careful, calories can add up quickly. In order to prevent your cup of Joe from hitting your waistline, make sure to look for drinks that are low in both sugar and fat. A grande café mocha with whipped cream has 330 calories and 9 grams of saturated fat! If you’re still craving something sweet, try a grande skinny cinnamon dolce latte. It only has 120 calories and is low in sugar. Plus, the 12 grams of protein will keep your stomach from rumbling during biology!

Noodles and Company

Pasta has a reputation for packing on carbs. However, if you’re careful, you can still enjoy a meal that’s both low in calories but high in nutrients. The key is to avoid creamy sauces and look for dishes that are packed with veggies. Although it’s the best comfort food around, a large mac & cheese has 1,040 calories and a whopping 25 grams of saturated fat, making it one of the more unhealthy options on the menu. Instead, try the Japanese Pan Noodles, which are only 310 and 1 gram of saturated fat in a small bowl. Plus, the broccoli packs it wit 3 grams of fiber, meaning you can still enjoy a bowl of pasta without the guilt.

Shakespeare’s

Sometimes, you just have to grab your girlfriends and gorge on some pizza after a stressful week. Although it can be difficult to make healthy choices when eating cheese topped dough, the key is to pack it with healthy toppings instead of full fat ones. Although the warning the menu that The Meat Lover’s Pizza has 9,000 calories per slice may be a tad of an exaggeration, meats pepperoni, bacon, and sausage are full of saturated fat. Add that to the cheese and dough and you’ve got a calories dense meal. Instead, try the Darwin. The tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and green peppers pack it with nutrients, while the turkey provides a low-fat protein. Skip the breadsticks and order a side salad to save even more calories.

Bangkok Gardens

The key to Asian food is making sure that your dish is cook without high fat and calorie oils. The Moo Taud has deep fried pork, which adds more calories and fat than other cooking methods. Plus, the sweet and sour sauce adds extra sugar to the dish. For a more healthy option, try the Miss Bangkok. It’s packed with nutrient dense lettuce and carrots as well as grilled (instead of deep fried) chicken. The mint and basil add low calorie flavor, while the peanuts provide healthy fat!

The Heidelberg

One of the great things about eating at the Heidelberg is that they have options for whatever you’re craving. However, it’s important to watch the calories. While the buy-one-get-one-half-off appetizer special may be tempting for broke college, most of the apps are deep-fried and are packed with high calorie meats and cheeses. Instead, order the Chicken Grille sandwich. It’s grilled, meaning it has fewer calories. Order it on a wheat bun to add some fiber. 

Photo Credits

hollywoodsandwine.com – itsjustjustin.com – ericwsteagall.wordpress.com

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.