Cooking for Dummies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Last summer, I experienced my biggest horror: being unable to cook. Since that scary time, though, I have grown to enjoy cooking, and have made it a personal goal to improve my skills this semester. Have no fear: I’m here to help you, too!

Ingredient list:

• 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Some Italian dressing
  • Cut up vegetables of your choice
  • Salt and/or garlic salt

This week’s meal consists of chicken breast and vegetables. Start with the chicken because it will take the most time to cook.

The morning before your meal, use a container to soak the chicken breast in Italian dressing. This step ensures that the chicken will be perfectly marinated in the evening.

When your stomach is growling and it’s time for dinner, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a cooking pan. Throw the chicken breast into the pan and cook it for about 10 minutes, or until the inside of the chicken is no longer pink. Flip the chicken breast every two minutes.

In the meantime, cut up some vegetables and throw them into the pan along with the other tablespoon of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt, garlic salt, or both! Stir continuously for about seven minutes.

It’s simple to add pasta to this meal as well. If pasta is a favorite for you (as it is for me), boil water and add a cup of whole-wheat pasta. When the pasta is ready, strain it and add a tablespoon of butter and a little Parmesan cheese. Voilà! Your first meal is done, courtesy of your own, newly developed culinary skills.