A Collegiette’s Guide to a Safe & Sexy Spring Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The countdown to spring break has officially begun. It’s time to forget about classes and exams and focus on fun. We collegiettes™ have worked hard these past few weeks and deserve a vacation. But every year, students come back to school with stories of adventures wild enough to rival The Hangover. Here are some tips to ensure your break doesn’t break you.

Slip, Slap, Slop

When going out into the sun, my mom always told me to “slip, slap, slop.” Slip on a T-shirt, slap on a hat and slop on some sunscreen. Turns out her advice is actually from an Australian health campaign started in 1981. The Aussies got it right, and since the campaign’s introduction, the nation’s rate of skin cancer has decreased. Don’t forget a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sunlight, especially if you wear contacts. Remember that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., the time everyone on spring break is outside. Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. If you’re worried about breaking out, try an oil-free sunscreen or gel. According to WebMD.com, you should wait 30 minutes after applying before going into the sun. That might be tough to do when all your friends are hitting the beach. But a half hour inside now could save your skin years in the future. If you’ve been sitting out for a while, sweating on the beach volleyball court or swimming, reapply your sunscreen. With all kinds of sprays, sticks and creams on the market, there’s no excuse. If you still can’t bring yourself to reapply, grab some of Neutrogena’s Wet-Skin Sunblock Spray, which can be applied to wet skin.

Tame the Tanning

As much as I love my Irish heritage, I hate my über-fair skin during spring break. It seems like everyone else is getting their glow on, while I’m stuck looking like a ghost. Lucky for me, there are a million different self-tanners available. Wipes, spray, mousse, lotion, moisturizer, bronzer – the options are endless. Check out this Her Campus piece for more spring break beauty tips and tricks.

Saltwater Swimming

It’s easy to forget about the danger of the ocean when you’re at a beautiful beach. Be aware of water conditions if you plan to go for a swim. According to the Florida Department of State, a green flag denotes low hazard, a yellow flag means medium hazard and a red flag represents high hazard. Obviously, if you see a red flag with a no swimming symbol, do not get in the water. Lifeguards raise a purple flag when dangerous marine life, such as sharks, stingray or jellyfish, are present. Never swim alone.

H2O Hydration

The easiest way to prevent dehydration is by drinking water. Thirst, headaches, cramps and a dry mouth are all signs of dehydration. These symptoms usually mean the body is already dehydrated. It’s important to drink water frequently before these signs have a chance to appear. Spending all day in the sun means drinking more water. Tired of plain old H20? Try sparkling water, flavored water or sports drinks.

Sex on the Beach

It’s romantic, spontaneous and perfectly safe, right? Wrong. Those pesky grains of sand will end up everywhere, not to mention the high level of bacteria hiding in the sand. Beaches get shut down every summer because of bacteria. Researchers have even found that sand had more fecal bacteria (EW!) and salmonella than ocean water. Rolling around in the sand means there’s a pretty good chance that you’ll get sick. The next time you’re in the mood for some sex on the beach, stick to the drink.

(Don’t) Blame it on the Alcohol

Speaking of alcohol, even though the legal age is 18 in Cancun, drinking from sunrise to sunset is not a good idea. A University of Wisconsin study found that 43 percent of females were drunk on a daily basis during spring break. Alcohol makes you dehydrated; combined with the sun, it’s a recipe for heat exhaustion and heat stroke. If you are drinking, alternate alcohol with water or juice. Collegenews.com says that female spring breakers average 10 alcoholic drinks per day. A 140-pound woman who has 10 drinks in eight hours will have a BAC of .23 – almost four times the legal limit. At that level, she might not know where she is or what she’s doing. Other symptoms include difficulty walking, blurred vision and intensified emotions. Think about that while drinking, and be especially wary of the popular “girly” drinks that don’t even taste like alcohol. Check out Mizzou’s BAC calculator for more information.

Dieting Fads

With less than two weeks to go until break, girls are feeling the pressure to lose weight. Everyone wants to look good in a bathing suit, but a crash diet is not the way to do that. Self-confidence and a smile will make any girl look fabulous. A cute suit doesn’t hurt either! The day you put on that bikini, avoid broccoli, beans, citrus fruits, carbonated drinks and gum. According to MSNBC, these foods can cause bloating and gas.

Hotel Room Robbery

When you check into your hotel, ask the concierge for a room on the second floor or higher. First-floor rooms are more susceptible to theft. If you bring along valuables such as jewelry or a laptop, stash them in your room’s safe. Not every hotel provides a safe, but you can still be smart with your belongings and tuck them out of sight. Just be sure to pack them again when you depart!

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.