This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Named after the popular TV show, American Idol, every year Mizzou hosts their own version of the vocalist competition in an event called Mizzou Idol. Competitors took the Missouri Theatre stage on Feb. 22 for this fifth annual competition. Student singers of any age are welcome to participate in the competition, and this year’s winner was 20-year-old Chantel George. After performing in the competition for three years, Chantel never gave up and was finally able to sing her way to the top earning her the coveted title of Mizzou Idol.

HCM: What is your major?
Chantel: I am studying Mass Media Communication

HCM: Who do you look up to most as a singer?
Chantel: Michael Jackson and Tina Turner. They are so talented, fun and energetic, and best of all, unique. They’re enticing to watch, and EVERYONE knows who MJ or Tina is, and I aspire to be like that. 

HCM: What do you think your strengths were as compared to other singers in the competition?
Chantel: I think my strengths were definitely my stage presence and song choice. An audience wants to see a show, and I gave it to them.

HCM: Have you ever participated in the competition before?
Chantel: Yes, this was actually my 3rd year taking part in it. Each year, I got a little bit closer to my goal of taking the W, and winning this year was such an amazing feeling! 

HCM: Do you think you will participate in the competition again next year?
Chantel: I can’t compete in it next year since I won, but I am very excited to be a judge and see next year’s talent. It’ll be so weird being the person looking IN instead of the performer, but I want to make all the contestants feel comfortable and relaxed, and to let them know that everything will be okay! 

HCM: Do you wish to pursue singing in the future after college? 
Chantel: Absolutely! My goal is to make it big. But it takes baby steps. I’m planning everything out so that I’m prepared for after graduation. Keep an eye out for me within the next couple of years! 

HCM: What is your favorite song?
Chantel: Not going to lie, I’m in love with Miley Cyrus- Adore You. It has such a great rhythm to it, and her voice is so soothing that you just want to walk around in slow motion with the wind blowing your hair back and the sun shining down on you. 

HCM: Who is your favorite artist? 
Chantel: Currently, I haven’t really seen any artist that truly inspires me. But my favorite artist will always be Michael Jackson. I also enjoy listening to Adele and Rihanna. I love watching Beyoncé perform as well. 

HCM: What type of music do you listen to the most and why? 
Chantel: Honestly, I listen to a melting pot of music. Classical music is one of my favorites. I went to a Visual Performance arts academy and our focus was classical music, so we were required to sing opera pieces in 7 different languages (Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc.). Although it is not as popular today, I think classical music is one of the strongest foundations of music. It is very soothing, yet complex. 

HCM: If you could sing anywhere in the world, to any audience, where would it be and to whom?
Chantel: I would probably love to sing at the super bowl half time show. The super bowl is one of the most popular shows to watch during that season, and to get the opportunity to perform for such a large audience would be just WOW! I love singing for everyday people who just love music. 

HCM: When did you start singing? 
Chantel: At the age of 8. 

HCM: Do you sing for any organizations on campus? 
Chantel: I sing at the Mizzou athletics events like the basketball games, and the girls’ volleyball games. I also take part in the Life Music Series held at the shack. I would love to sing at more events and get more performance opportunities.