Camila Gumati: Keeping Tradition in Tact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

There’s no denying that Camila Gumati is one busy woman! From her work on the Alumni Association Student Board, Project Sol and the Hispanic Leadership Association, Camila keeps a tight schedule. However, her hard work, time management skills and love of Mizzou help keep this collegiette™ grounded. As a senior majoring in business management, Camila shares her passions about her many organizations, Mizzou and her friends.

Her Campus Mizzou: Tell me about the activities you’re involved in on campus.
Camila Gumati:
I’m currently active in AASB; I’m also active in Project Sol. Those are the organizations I’ve committed my senior year to. In the past I’ve been more involved in the Hispanic Leadership Association and the American Association of University Women. I’m also a Chancellor’s leadership alum, so I mentor, too. I’ve done that for the last two years. I’m semi-involved in the Diverse Student Association through the College of Business. I also work! I work for Boone County National Bank. I can work anywhere from 15-20 hours a week. Last thing, my dad is from Libya, so I’ve been working with the Muslim Student Association. I’m trying to set up some kind of benefit dinner.

HCM: That must be tough. Most college students don’t have to go through something like that.
CG:
Yeah, my dad’s whole family is over there. I have a lot of friends who have visited here [from there], who have lived here and moved back, and just a lot of people that I know over there. I’ve wanted this [revolution] to happen forever, but I knew a lot of deaths would be involved. I don’t think I’ve watched this much news in my life.

HCM: That’s amazing. How do you manage being involved in all of your organizations, activities and maintaining a social life?
CG:
I try to keep anything that I’m obligated to as a priority. I kind of put all my orgs in priority, like AASB. Since I went through an interview process, I will make that happen. Then to other orgs, I’ve made it clear these are my obligations. I try to make sure none of my meetings overlap. Thankfully, I’ve been able to get into a position where I can have a say when meetings are. I’ve figured out how to use my time wisely. I’d say it’s a lot of time management. And I do give myself a day off where I say, “OK, I’m not doing anything!” It’s all about prioritizing and time management.

HCM: Which activity is your favorite?
CG:
I’d have to say AASB. They’ve become my support. They’ve formed my Mizzou career. I got roped in my freshman year when I really needed that one thing to show me what direction to go in. Had I not found AASB, I wouldn’t have known how to assimilate into Mizzou culture. And the people are so unique! I’ve met so many of my friends that I’m going to be in touch with for years. And we’re all so involved that if something’s going on in campus, someone in AASB will know [about it]. You always know you’re going to have fun at an AASB event.

HCM: How did you get involved in AASB?
CG:
I was really involved in high school, so it was just figuring out how to transition [in college]. I was in the Chancellor’s Leadership class, and Dave Roberts was really good with connecting his students to organizations. He saw AASB was accepting applications, and he sent out an email saying this is a great group to get involved in. I did my own research and thought, ‘This is something that I’m interested in.’ I’m into traditions and being the tradition keeper. At the time, I don’t think I realized how many people applied. I didn’t grasp how prominent AASB is on campus. I was VP of internal affairs last year, and I made it a point to make sure campus knew who AASB was. I wanted to give as many people the opportunity to apply for AASB as possible. It’s great that we tend to talk to our friends and tell them about AASB, but since we hit all corners of campus, we wanted students to know they all have the same opportunity to apply for AASB. We want to expand past one [Greek] house, one major or one group!

HCM: You mentioned that you’re really into traditions. What’s your favorite Mizzou tradition?
CG:
In AASB traditions, Mizzou 39 is so unique in that you meet so many amazing seniors. You get to hear about these seniors and how they’ve had an impact and how they’ve managed their time. My sophomore year, I remember seeing how a Mizzou 39er was able to get so much done … just the amount of amazing things she was able to do here, and to see that was in my reach! It’s great to see all these great people on campus and know these are our peers. All the traditions are great, and everyone experiences them in different ways, but [the traditions] link everyone together. It’s funny when you talk to alum, they go on and on about what they did in their years!

HCM: You’re such a leader on campus!
CG:
I try to help out wherever I can. I don’t set out to do that. I just try to help out a friend and then it turns out I’m involved.

I’ve really learned what kind of leader I am and what kind of people I want to surround myself with and what kinds I don’t. I learned to say no. I used to be the person that always said, “Yeah, sure.” But I’ve learned what situations to commit myself to. And I’ve met so many people on campus. It’s like 2 degrees of separation! As long as you know which way to go, someone will help you out.

HCM: Because you’re a senior, what’s been your favorite memory at Mizzou?
CG:
It’s all just one experience. I don’t want to say that it’s “blurred together,” but it’s all been a positive experience. Some things stand out, but they all intertwine. Getting onto AASB was a great memory, of course Homecoming, the football games with close friends and tailgating. We were really good about going to all the tailgates and seeing everyone. And the alumni functions, like the Tiger ball in KC. It’s always fun. This year 20 of us are going. Just being able to bond with friends. It’s nice to know that I’ve built this mini support group beyond my family that I’m able to depend on. Sometimes the nights we watch a movie have been the most fun. I’ve learned a lot about myself and others. I became true to myself … realizing that everything will work out, so if something doesn’t, just let it go, and you can grow.

HCM: If you could go back to freshman year and give little Camila some advice, what would you say?
CG:
I’d say realize when you’re ready and realize when you’re not ready to take on a leadership role. I took on a leadership role when I wasn’t ready for it. I worked through it, but I had to step down eventually. When I took over as president, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. There were mostly juniors and seniors in the group, and no one really knew what direction to go in. I tried to stay afloat, but I felt like I was in a sinking ship. Ultimately, there was other stuff I wanted to get involved in, too. I thought I might as well hand over the reins. I just didn’t have the energy, and I didn’t know where to go with it. I’m glad I realized that early enough. [That was] the best thing for the group and for me.

You really need to know when you’re ready to do something. Don’t take something on you’re not 100% ready for. Am I truly devoted to this? Do I really understand what the mission is? If I can answer yes to those questions, then I go for it.

HCM: Where do you see yourself in a year, five years?
CG:
I accepted a job with Cassidy Turley in their human resources department. I will be moving to St.Louis starting in June and in 5 years, I can see myself growing with with the company and hopefully implementing initiatives nation wide to keep their human resources up to speed and beneficial for everyone. I can’t wait for this new adventure and can’t wait to see what is to come, I am just thankful for this opportunity in a city I love that is close to home, in a field that I wanted to get my foot in, and in a place that I know will offer professional development and growth.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.