Calling All Twi-hards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Oh my gosh am I excited for the newest installation of The Twilight Saga. Yes, I am one of those Twi-hards. I know we aren’t all, but for those collegiettes™ who will be seeing it at midnight like me (or the day after to forgo the screaming crowd), we have less than a week!

Did anyone else see the clip MTV posted about Bella getting her “something blue?” I definitely wanted the scene to go on longer, but they never do, do they? I just love Charlie’s sarcasm and Bella’s mother’s excitement. It’s a fun dynamic to have those two next to each other.

I’ve been watching the trailers for Breaking Dawn, and I think the newer ones give away a little too much. Don’t get me wrong – I love a preview into the movie. But if you know the books, you know the preview shows one too many major plot points. Of course the preview includes the amazing headboard and feathers scene. That’s a must-have. However, I’m a little worried about how that scene is done in the movie. Can it really have the same impact as it does in the book? Let’s sure hope so.

I’m excited (as always) for the constant tension between Edward and Jacob. With two guys fighting for her love, Bella’s got it good. That’s not to say the three of them have a very healthy relationship. I mean it’s actually very unhealthy, but on the bright side it makes an intriguing story.

Then there’s the cast. Oh, the cast. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this! I think some people are just spiteful at the popularity of the series, and some are overly starstuck because of the books. I have to say I like the cast. I don’t try to pick out every time someone makes an acting mistake. (FYI: You’re ruining the movie for yourself when you do that.) I like to enjoy it. Obviously I enjoy the movies way more than I would if I didn’t know the books. Then again the first movie is why I was interested in reading them!

I want to say props to the actors, directors and everyone else for making these movies as quickly as they have. I mean look at Harry Potter – to say that took a while is an understatement. Yet it didn’t stop people from going to see the movies. It actually probably got a better audience because the age range of interest expanded over time. But I’m sure happy these movies are coming out fast!

The real question for the upcoming Twilight movie is where the end will cut off. Anyone who has read the book has reason to assume a certain intense scene will be the end point. I could be wrong, but I could be right.
I’m just counting down the days. Almost there!

Vanessa Meuir is senior majoring in magazine journalism and English. She was born in St. Louis, MO and raised in Columbia, MO where she now attends school. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus Mizzou, she works in Mizzou's athletics department and serves as a writing tutor for students on campus. She has gained most of her journalistic experience while writing and blogging for the Columbia Missourian, a local newspaper, and Vox magazine, a student-run campus magazine. She also gained some publishing experience while interning at The Missouri Review, a literary magazine. When Vanessa is not working or in class, she enjoys maintaining a personal blog that comments on reality television, spending time with her five roommates, reading and dabbling in amateur photography. Among her favorite things are diet coke, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Disney Channel and fuzzy socks.