Breaking Down the 1989 (Taylor’s Version) Vault Songs

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Nine years after the original release of Taylor Swift’s “1989,” the era full of city lights and nights spent shaking it off with friends is back. With a midnight release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” on Oct. 27, Swift officially re-entered the era, this time with five new songs from the vault. From “Slut!” to “Now That We Don’t Talk,” the new vault tracks have fans divided on theories.

“Slut!”

As the first vault track on the album, “Slut!” had fans abuzz from the beginning. With its explicit title, the track had fans expecting a song with a storyline rooted in anger or the slut-shaming she had faced as a young woman in the public eye. Defying expectations, “Slut!” is more akin to a love song. With a mellow backing track and lyrics describing her lovesick state, the song culminates with the line “If they call me a slut, you know it might be worth it for once.” Swift’s reference didn’t go unnoticed, with the lyric seemingly pointing out the media’s treatment of the star.

As written by Swift in the prologue for “1989 (Taylor’s Version),” in past relationships, Swift had become the “target of slut shaming — the intensity and relentlessness of which would be criticized and called out if it happened today.” This song was a subtle jab at the harsh criticism she’s faced, but the main focus of “Slut!” was on the story Swift wanted to tell — not the voices of those critical of the star’s dating life.

“Say Don’t Go”

Telling the story of a one-sided relationship, “Say Don’t Go” has already earned its spot on many fans’ top ten lists. Starting with a slower track before building into a more traditional pop-backing, Swift’s lyrics stick to the heart wrenching message of the song. Her lyrics struck a chord with many listeners, some of which took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to share their feelings on the song.

While Swift is known for writing material on her own, “Say Don’t Go” was co-written by Diane Warren, a well-known songwriter who has written with the likes of Lady Gaga and Céline Dion. In an interview with People about the re-recording process, Warren explains her feelings on the newly released song.

“It took a while to see the light of day, but I’m glad it finally did,” Warren says. “It was worth the wait.”

“Now That We Don’t Talk”

Sounding like it could’ve been a possible “Midnights” contender, “Now That We Don’t Talk” has sent fans into their detective era. Swift’s references to long hair and new tattoos have brought some fans to the conclusion that “Now That We Don’t Talk” is about fellow pop star Harry Styles. 

The pair dated between 2012 and 2013, with fans already attributing original “1989” track “Style” to the former One Direction  member. While the actual subject of “Now That We Don’t Talk” isn’t known, the song has already sparked a TikTok trend, with users posting videos calling out their own exes.

“Suburban Legends”

Ranked by the LA Times as the best vault track, “Suburban Legends” acts as a classic addition to the album, with the song’s main storyline centered around a high-school reunion and a soured relationship. While the backing of “Suburban Legends” has a similar sound to many of Swift’s “Midnights” hits, fans are most impressed with the lyrics.

Most notably, the lyrics “we were born to be national treasures” and “you kiss me in a way that’s going to screw me up forever” resonate with the message of “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” As her first pop album, “1989” spoke of past relationships and stepping into the limelight and “Suburban Legends” mixes the two concepts into a perfect addition for the re-release. 

“Is It Over Now?”

Swift’s final vault track packed a punch with “Is It Over Now?” receiving over 4.8 million streams since its release. While its sheer amount of streams is impressive, fans are choosing to focus on the lyrics and how they might be another hint about Styles. The most incriminating evidence is the lyric “blue dress on a boat,” which fans believe is a reference to Swift’s break-up with Styles..

With Swift referencing grievances about the past relationship throughout the song, it’s clear that Styles was not out of the woods with the release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version).”

Swift’s re-releases are becoming the stuff of legends, and “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is no different. The album took the Spotify record for most-streamed album in a single day, and with songs already sparking conversation and trends, it’s clear that Swift’s newest era is living up to fans’ wildest dreams.

Allie Tribe

Mizzou '27

Hi! My name is Allie Tribe and I'm a freshman majoring in journalism. I'm from Decatur, TX and I like to read, listen to music, and spend too much money on anything that's seasonal. MIZ!