Book covers with the shape of a slate over them.
Kylee Kropf

Book review: ‘The Song of Achilles’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The Song of Achilles, a novel written by Madeline Miller, retells the story of Achilles and Patroclus in a fresh and exciting way.

Both Achilles and Patroclus hail from Greek Mythology and are closely tied to the Trojan War. Achilles was a fierce warrior who was prophesied to be “the best of the Greeks” and had an “inseparable companion,” Patroclus. Patroclus, a soft-spoken and somewhat awkward individual, meets Achilles and is instantly captivated by his confidence and captivating demeanor.

The book follows the two as they grow up together in Achilles’ home of Phithia and begin learning about themselves and what it means to have a prophecy looming over their lives. Miller does a fantastic job of subtly sprinkling in puberty talk, ethical conversations, and romance to make for a very compelling story.

Regardless of previous knowledge about the Trojan War and Greek mythology, the audience is well informed on the dynamic between mortals and immortals and the overall timeline of events that are said to have taken place centuries ago.

The men’s lives are turned upside down when Achilles is called to fight in the Trojan War and help rescue Helen of Sparta. Patroclus is then forced to make a decision and choose whether or not to support Achilles in his decisions surrounding the war.

The story that unfolds before your eyes is guaranteed to leave you on the edge of your seat and make it very hard to put the book down. The ending leaves you wanting more and the tale of Achilles and Patroclus is sure to stick with you, even after the pages run out.

I would give The Song of Achilles five stars on a five-star rating scale because of the beautiful storytelling and emotion it provokes in the reader. This book is a must-read and needs to be added to your bookshelf for 2022.

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!