Style > Beauty

Better Living: A Beginner’s Guide on Switching to Natural Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With all the buzz surrounding veganism, sustainability, zero waste, and going organic, it’s hard to pinpoint what natural living truly means without finding hundreds of movements in the same category. In short, natural living is committing to a lifestyle where the products you use are naturally occurring in nature or aren’t a threat to the environment. Most of us aren’t aware that many of the commercial skincare and makeup brands we splurge on are full of chemicals (harmful man-made substances) that cause long-term damage to our bodies.

By narrowing your focus to categories like skincare or body products, it’s easier to transition into a chemical-free product lifestyle. And the best-kept secret is this: not only are there natural makeup and skincare companies devoted to helping people transition but once you fully embrace a natural routine you can even make your own products! But until then, let’s start this beginner’s guide off with some of the best ways to ease into a natural lifestyle.

Start small

Don’t just throw everything away! Trust me, you’ll regret it. Instead, focus on products that are either close to empty or ones you can afford to swap out. Over time you’ll start to build a routine of knowing which products you’ll be interested in switching to next. The goal is to ease your way into the journey and not hurt your wallet by trying to buy everything all at once.

Find out what works for you

Switching to natural products doesn’t mean you have to be some level-10 herbalist who makes all of her concoctions from scratch (although I may have slightly offended myself). The best route to take is to find out what routine works for you. If you prefer to start with skincare, then focus on natural skincare. Or if the idea of toxins in your makeup makes you uncomfortable, begin a slow transition into purchasing green beauty products. All in all, see which category is easier to swap out in your daily routine and not pressure yourself into doing more than you can bear.

Read labels

No, I don’t just mean the front. Read the back, too. Even if a label claims to be “all-natural” or “organic”, many companies get away with adding other substitutes that actually cause more damage to the body than the initial chemicals in the product. Always read labels and look out for ingredients like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and lead. These toxic ingredients are found in most shampoos, facial moisturizers, and eye makeup.

Be patient

Understand that living naturally is a marathon in life and not a race. Don’t expect to wake up and have a cabinet full of organic makeup and be an expert on natural skincare. If you end up purchasing a commercial item because you’re in a pinch, it’s okay. Don’t restrict yourself so harshly to a certain lifestyle that you’re no longer enjoying your own. Be patient and continue to gather information on products and explore all the different brands you can begin to incorporate into your routine. Over time, you’ll find natural products you love and wonder how you went so long without them!

Mizzou alumni with a passion for writing
HC Contributer Mizzou