The Best Self-Defense Products for the College Gal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

College is a time for new experiences and trying different things, but every college girl knows that those experiences are difficult when we have to walk alone at night, or meet a stranger on a dark street. Protection against assault is a key asset to know, and it is important to understand how to defend yourself in dangerous situations, and what items you may need to help you if that ever happens. Here are some of the best self-defense products to make you feel safer on the streets. 

Tigerlady Self-Defense Claw

Go, tigers! But this time, we’re not cheering for the football team. Tigerlady is a website that provides different self-defense products to women, their most popular product being the Tiger Claw: a discreet, hand-held tool modeled after a cat’s retractable claws. At first harmless, you can put the strap around your wrist and hold the claw safely in your hand, and when danger strikes, you simply squeeze your hand down to reveal high-impact plastic “claws” that are designed to capture DNA to identify the attacker. The product weighs less than two ounces, and Tigerlady donates some of their proceedings to non-profits committed to ending violence against women. Never feel vulnerable again knowing you have an always ready, non-lethal claw in your hand. You can buy it for $34.99 on their website.

SABRE RED Lipstick Pepper Spray

One of the first choices when it comes to self-defense is pepper spray. Even better, disguise it as lipstick! If you feel uncomfortable holding up a pepper spray canister, your attacker will never know if you have one now. SABRE RED is a trusted brand that is backed by both the NYPD and the Chicago PD, and their packaging includes safety training videos and self-defense tips to make you feel safer. With its compact design that helps prevent accidental discharge, you are sure to prevent any attacks efficiently and in-style. You can buy their product for only $8.99 on Amazon (and it’s prime!).

Safesound Personal Alarm Keychain

While protecting yourself physically is important in an attack, it is just as important to alert others around you to what is happening. The Safesound Personal Alarm Keychain is portable and easy to keep on your keys, bag, or backpack for easy use. With up to 40 minutes of 130 decibels of sound, this alarm can travel to the ears of people 300 yards away from your location, quickly alerting those around you that something is wrong. The sound also will scare away your attacker, notifying them that others will hear and come to help, as well as possibly startling them and giving you a chance to pull out one of your other self-defense tools (if you don’t already have them on hand). Buy it on Amazon (also prime!) for $12.99.

Noonlight App

This app is a must if you find yourself in sketchy situations after a fun Friday night. You’ve probably seen an ad for this app on YouTube or another social media platform, under the name SafeTrek. They have now rebranded, but the function of the app is still the same: the app is used to help call the police when you may not have time to in a dangerous area. When you feel like you’re in an unsafe area or you feel uncomfortable in a rideshare car, simply open the app and hold down the blue button. When you remove your finger from the button, it will turn red, and you will be asked to enter a PIN that you have set beforehand. If you fail to type in your PIN in ten seconds, Noonlight will call the police, and alert them of your location, name and medical information, if you choose to provide it. The app can also be used as an at-home burglary system, and you can connect your smart device or smart home sensors to detect burglaries and carbon monoxide leaks. 

These are just some of the tools you can use to protect yourself. Remember to always tell a friend or family member where you are going, always share your location with somebody you trust and when possible, keep to brightly lit areas and travel in a group. Knowing how to stay safe and knowing that you have the tools to protect yourself is a great start to preventing assault. Make sure to share these tips with your friends and classmates to help prevent dangerous situations. Stay safe!

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.