This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Singing solo is no longer the “cool” thing to do, it’s a cappella all the way. The all male a cappella group on Mizzou’s campus, Add9, is the new up and coming group to watch out for. Her Campus Mizzou chats with the Add9 President, Ben Worley, to get a better look at how he became involved in singing, and what it’s like to be in an a cappella group.

Her Campus Mizzou: How did you originally become involved in singing a cappella?

Ben Worley: I originally became involved in a cappella in high school. My choir director played us a CD from the Missouri State Beartones and I knew a person in that group as well. It was sort of love at first hear, if you will. From that first listen, I wanted to be in an a cappella group. When I found out about Add9 at Mizzou, I decided to give it a shot. Three years later, here I am directing the group, and I still love it.

HCM: Do you prefer singing with a group or solo?

BW: I actually prefer singing in the group. I enjoy solos, but I like being able to really blend in an ensemble. 

HCM: What’s the best part of performing with your a cappella group?

BW: The best part of performing in an a cappella group is probably the reaction from people when they hear the group performing some of the top 40 songs that they normally hear on the radio. Many people are surprised when our vocal percussionist sounds like drums and cymbals, or the baritones sounding like a strumming electric guitar. It is truly a rewarding experience. 

HCM: Are you hoping to pursue a career in singing?

BW: I am hoping to pursue a career in singing. I am a music major in vocal performance for opera. 

HCM: Aside from singing, what are some of your major interests?

BW: Aside from singing, I enjoy anthropology (I am a double major in music and anthropology), scuba diving and the normal college student life of staying up too late with friends and complaining about class. HA!

HCM: If singing does not work out for you, what do you hope to pursue a career in?

BW: If singing does not work out, I also have anthropology to fall back on; however, I hope to have a voice studio so I can teach voice lessons as well. I have also been tossing around the idea of musicology, which is the study of music history, later in life. It is a sort of combination of both music and anthropology.