This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you are anything like me, you put food in your fridge and by the time you remember it’s there, it has gone bad. I have wasted a lot of food because I didn’t use it in time or simply forgot it was there. If you relate, I have looked on the internet and found some great waste reduction tips that help me when I put away my groceries.

1. if you can see it, you will use it

This is a simple tip! A big thing that has helped me is not putting foods that spoil quickly in my refrigerator’s crisper drawers. Whenever I put food in there, I forget about it until it is too late. By either leaving the crisper drawers empty or by using them for jarred foods, I am able to eliminate waste.

2. Put older foods in the front

This is an easy step that takes only more one extra second when putting your groceries away. It is a lot easier to just pile in what you just bought in the front, but then you will forget that it is there. By placing your older groceries in the front, it forces you to use them before they expire.

3. MAke a use-first basket

One thing that you can do while you put up your new groceries is look at the older ones that have been there for a while. You can make a basket or a shelf of these items to remember to use them soon. Make sure that this basket or shelf is easily accessible so that you use it first.

4. make the sell-by dates bigger

For most products, the sell-by date predicts when it should be sold by, not used by. You can write these dates bigger on your food products with a marker so that you can see them easier. I also don’t always throw out my food by the sell-by date. In most cases, I have found that some food products last longer than that date. So, before you throw something out, check to see if it is actually bad.

5. Know what works best for you

Everyone’s mind works differently, so cater your fridge to how you think. For me, I don’t look at the door a lot. So I won’t put anything that goes bad quickly or that I need to use soon in the door. Whereas if you look at the for first put those things in the door!

Overall, it is easier to change your fridge organization than how you think. So make your fridge work better for you. There are no rules! Play around and find what works the best for you.

(she/her) Madison Thompson is a junior at The University of Missouri- Columbia and has direct admission into the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism School. She is an older sister and loves to read and write. In addition to Journalism, Madison loves creative writing. Madison has a self-published poetry book titled "The Journey". Her Poem Supermarket was a finalist in the 2019 KET writing contest.