7 Makeup Hacks Every Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Makeup can be a fun, easy way to express yourself and feel 100 percent confident no matter the occasion. But it’s no secret that makeup can start costing major bucks if you go a little crazy with your collection. However, there are plenty of ways to save your precious time and money and still look fab. Here are the top makeup hacks every girl should know:

1. Use lipstick as crème blush. Your favorite lipstick now has double the superpowers. Next time you’re applying your signature lip color for spring, try swiping a bit onto your cheeks for a pretty, natural glow. Blend the DIY blush in with your fingers or a stippling brush, and your cheeks will match your lips in a subtle yet stunning way.

2. Turn mascara into gel eyeliner. If you have a bottle of mascara and an angled eyeliner brush, you have gel eyeliner. Take your angled brush and wipe off the mascara brush, then apply as normal. The consistency of the mascara is nearly identical to a gel pot of eyeliner, and you will save yourself from a trip to the store to shop around for a new product. Waterproof mascara works just as well and will give you added security from waterworks or weather issues.

3. Make your lipstick last all night. To make sure expensive long-wear lipstick purchases and smudges are a thing of the past, apply one coat of lipstick and place a tissue over your lips. Pat translucent powder directly on the tissue with a brush, remove the tissue and follow up with another layer of lipstick. Quick tip: if you’re having trouble keeping the tissue taut on your lips, lightly suck in and tilt your head back before applying powder.

4. Don’t spend $$$ on exfoliators. Exfoliators for your face, lips and skin can run your credit car bill some major money. Pinterest is loaded with ideas for exfoliators you can make with basic ingredients in your kitchen, like brown sugar and coconut oil. Stir up your own exfoliators to keep your skin soft and your wallet happy.

5. Get every ounce of liquid makeup. When you can’t squeeze anymore liquid makeup outside of the containers no matter how hard you try, your first thought is probably to buy a new tube. Rather than throwing away a potential gold mine of leftover product, cut open the tubes and scrape them clean into a plastic pot. Even though you couldn’t get any more makeup out by hand, you can revel in the fact that you just beat the system.

6. Create your own tinted moisturizer. Can’t find a tinted moisturizer shade that matches your skin tone or your price range? Blend together your favorite facial moisturizer and mineral powder to create your ideal shade. You can save some major bucks and get to customize the consistency. You’ll turn into a makeup magician in no time.

7. Make eye shadow pop with white eyeliner. Using white eyeliner as a base for eye shadows is a cheaper alternative to expensive crème bases. Cover your eyelid with white eyeliner, blend with your finger and apply the shadow on top. It’ll make your eyes go from drab to fab in an instant.

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.