7 Fall Events To Prove CoMo Is Anything But Boring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Instead of staying in every weekend binge-watching Netflix, check out these cool events happening around campus and Columbia. From movie nights to festivals, Columbia (surprisingly) always has something going on!

Sept. 12 — Movies in the Park: Frozen

You’re never too old for a Disney movie! Grab your friends and head over to Flatbranch Park to watch “Frozen” on Friday, Sept. 12. Parks and Recreation, KPLA 101.5 and Boone Electric Community Trust are sponsoring the movie night and admission is only $2. Concessions will be available for purchase. The event will go from 8 to 9:45 p.m.

Sept. 20 & 21 — 37th Annual Heritage Festival and Craft Show

Travel back in time at the 37th Annual Heritage Festival and Craft Show! The festival is a free, weekend-long event held at Nifong Park. Handmade crafts will be on display, along with two stages featuring storytelling, dancing and music. Visitors can tour the historic Maplewood Home and the Walter’s Boone County Historical Museum. Saturday there will be Ghost Stories from 8 to 9:30 p.m. sponsored by the Mid-Missouri Organization Storytellers. The event goes from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day.

Sept. 26 — Free Tie-Dye Day

Do you need to brighten up your t-shirt collection? Then join the Craft Studio for their free tie-dying event from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 26. Bring your own t-shirt, pillow, socks, etc. to the Craft Studio, which is located in Memorial Union, to brighten them up. The dye will be provided.

Sept. 19 – 21 — Mizzou Family Weekend

Before the homesick blues catch up with you, one of Mizzou’s greatest traditions takes place — Family Weekend. Whether you participate in the Mizzou events or make your own schedule for the weekend, this is the perfect time to show campus off to your family. Friday night from 8:30 to 11:00 p.m. there will be a Columns lighting ceremony on the Quad in honor of Mizzou’s 175th anniversary. The event is free and will have other activities and free Buck’s Tiger Stripe ice cream. (Yum!)

Saturday, Sept. 20 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., The Craft Studio will be hosting a craft party in Memorial Union. Participants can make memorable Mizzou crafts, like picture frames and more. Registration is available online at parentrelations.missouri.edu and walk-ins are welcome while supplies last. Each project costs $12. Also, don’t forget to remind your family members to buy football tickets so they can watch our Tigers take on the Indiana Hoosiers Saturday! 

Bonus: The Blue Note, a popular music venue in downtown, Columbia, has plenty of concerts coming up this fall.

Oct. 8 — Foster The People

Foster The People will be performing as part of the 9th Street Summerfest. The show will be outside on 9th Street between Broadway and Walnut. Tickets are $30 and doors open at 7 p.m. The show begins at 8 p.m. and all ages are welcome.

Oct. 9 — Kip Moore

Kip Moore will be performing along with other guest performers including Charlie Worsham and Sam Hunt. Tickets are $25 and the show begins at 7:00 p.m. with the doors opening at 6:00 p.m. This concert will also take place outside and is open to all ages.

Oct. 12 — Aaron Carter

Your favorite middle school crush is back! Aaron Carter will take the stage with an 8:00 p.m. show. Tickets are $15 for general admission. Those under 21 must pay a $2 cash surcharge at the door.

HC Contributer Mizzou