5 Ways to Take Inspiration from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you’ve never had a chance to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, this is your chance to pour yourself a glass of punch, rip open a family size bag of chips, and binge watch (then read this article, because warning: spoilers). It has the spunky spirit of Sex and the City, the family-friendly but hilarious humor of Bob’s Burgers, and the color palette of an overzealous kindergardener. What isn’t to love??

Beyond the entertainment, there are some really amazing things you can take away from this show, from its makeup/fashion inspiration to the surprisingly life-changing advice the characters give. Its portrayal of a positive gay relationship, its insight into the effects of a less-than-ideal childhood (to say the least), and its peppy colorful optimism are just a few reasons why this is a great show to watch to chill out from finals. Admittedly, there are some iffy plotlines, but overall, this is an amazing and light hearted show with a lot to offer!

Here are five life lessons to take away from UKS that will make you feel like a million bucks!

1. Life is too short to wear neutral makeup

Since Kimmy has been a little out of touch with the world since she was young, she still has that childlike view of makeup that most of us stopped having in junior high. That is, the purpose of makeup is to be LOUD. Kimmy wears super intense blush, super intense pink lipstick, and wears equally poppin’ outfits. There is no balancing here; to Kimmy, makeup is to be seen as colorful and happy. Makeup is something to experiment with, and Kimmy’s look is a great way to break out of a rut without going straight for the baby blue eyeliner. Try a neon pink lip like Wet N Wild Megalast Lip Color in Don’t Blink Pink with a super intense blush (try NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Red Cheeks) and fluttering lashes.

2. Always be true to yourself

Even though it would have been easier to (SPOILER!!) stay in Mississippi, marry a woman and be secretly gay, Titus took his future into his own hands and moved to New York to follow his dreams of being an actor. He wears whatever he wants, he is never apologetic about who he is, and he is undoubtedly someone we should all look up to.

3. Embrace your inner child

Kimmy is literally the most childish adult-woman you will ever encounter, but that’s why we love her! Life is just more fun sometimes when you look at things with an innocent point of view. Reckless optimism isn’t always a bad thing, y’all! You’d be surprised at how much you miss swingsets, eating candy till you’re sick, and laughing at madlibs.

4. Stand up for what you believe in
When Lillian thought the hipsters were ruining the neighborhood, she stood up for the place she loved so much, even if no one else really cared. She protested, rallied, chained herself up to a bulldozer illegally, maybe killed someone (who can be sure with her), and that’s super admirable. No one else believed in her, but Lillian is totes going to get the last laugh.

5. Know that you are unbreakable

Kimmy should be at least 500 percent less optimistic than she is, let’s be real. She was kidnapped, trapped underground for 15 years, had a crappy mom before that, and didn’t even know her father. Not to mention she’s trying to make it in a new city without a high school diploma and no resume. But that doesn’t stop her. Kimmy and all the characters on the show (even Jacqueline) are tough BAMFs in their own ways. Kimmy says stand up for yourselves and claim your space, and who are we to say no?

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you! 
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO