5 Things I Learned from the Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Like millions of other Americans, I’ve become wrapped up in Kardashian “khaos.” I watch every episode of their reality shows, own several shades of nail polish from their Kardashian Kolor line, and follow them on all forms of social media. It’s safe to say I’ve become a little “krazy.”

In order to quiet the nagging feeling that I’m letting precious hours of my life slip by while I watch them argue about everything from “Khristmas” (too far?) plans to Christian Louboutin, I’ve complied a list of 5 things I’ve learned from watching them throughout the years. Hopefully thinking of these will qualm the little part of me that dies each time I dedicate an entire day to my favorite, reality-television guilty pleasure.

1. Money can’t buy happiness.

Cliché, yes; but true? You bet. The millions of dollars earned through the TV shows, nail polish, perfume deals, and magazine covers don’t mean a whole lot unless you’re doing something you love. Rob, we’re looking at you. Season after season, Robert Kardashian Jr. has bounced from his mom’s house, to Khloe’s, and back to mom’s again, all without landing any steady promotional deals or holding down a legitimate job (minus DWTS). I’m not saying this is all his fault (I think we can all agree Kris’ loyalty lies with the ladies), but it’s a good reminder to realize that no matter how much money you have, doing something you enjoy is worth so much more.

Now, let’s take a look at Kim. Even with three gorgeous wedding dresses, millions of dollars in diamonds, and Robin Thicke as the wedding singer, she couldn’t make her marriage to Kris Humphries last more than 72 days. In the end, her wedding totaled an astonishing $28 million dollars and we found out that a lasting marriage is priceless.

2. Money CAN buy fabulous clothes, vacations, and Chanel tennis racquets.

Have you seen their closets? Unreal. Have you seen the resorts where the family stays on family vacations? Dreamlike. Have you noticed the little things, like the Chanel tennis racquet set Kim bought on a total whim for her mom this season? I didn’t even know Chanel made tennis sets. How about the fact that Khloe has never left the house without her scarlet-soled Louboutins on? Kris’s Rolls Royce? Or, my personal favorite, the Mercedes Benz G-Wagon? How about Scott’s clothes? The baby grand piano he bought for just for kicks? So. Fabulous. So, so, so fabulous. Before the green monster of jealousy erupts inside of us, let’s all reference lesson No. 1 one more time.

3. Never cohabitate with your sibs.

Just don’t do it. It’s not natural. I think part of the downfall of Kris and Kim was the fact that they lived with Kourtney, Scott, and Mason as newlyweds. It’s no wonder Kris tried to move back to Minnesota a week after the wedding. Also, let’s look at the absurd amount of fights Rob and Khloe have gotten into because he “rents” from Khloe and Lamar. We all spend the first portion of our life sharing a house and sometimes even bedrooms with our brothers and sisters; don’t make it last any longer than it has to. Weekly lunch dates will suffice.

4. Lessons can be learned from ANYTHING.

It never fails to surprise me how, by the end of the 42-minute montage of relatively normal day-to-day activities; each character can whip out a cheesy, totally over-generalized life lesson learned through the week’s challenges. I understand that it’s probably written by the producers to fulfill the “resolution” segment of the plot cycle, but I think there is a lesson to be learned from all the lessons (am I talking in circles yet?) It’s important to remember that something can be learned from every second of every day.

5. “I’m Sorry” is never overrated.

This family may argue a lot, but I have to admire each member’s ability to swallow his or her pride and apologize to one another. Kris talks openly about how she wrote a long, apologetic letter to Robert Kardashian Sr. before he died, expressing her remorse for the way their marriage ended. Even Scott, Kourtneys’s controversial, longtime boyfriend, is picking up on how far an apology can go. After his alcohol-induced rages in Miami and Las Vegas, he apologized to the family and worked on turning his life around. Saying “I’m sorry” is easier said than done, and I respect the Kardashian-Jenner’s ability to always step up to the plate.

In conclusion, what have I learned from watching the Kardashian’s all these years? I think it all boils down to the fact that celebrities are real people too. They laugh, they cry, have good days and bad days, just like the rest of us. They just look a little more fabulous while they do it. One day when I’m rich and famous from my reality show, I can only hope I’m as genuine and “kandid” as these “krazy” Kardashian kids.

Photo Credits

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/see-kim-kardashians-weddin…
http://www.erikzona.com/the-kardashians-and-a-chanel-tennis-racket/
http://www.wetpaint.com/kourtney-and-kim-take-new-york/articles/khloe-ka…
http://www.eonline.com/news/226550/so-true-so-false-kourtney-kardashian-…
http://www.keepingkardass07e17t.ewebsite.com/

Allison Goldberg is a junior at the University of Missouri double majoring in strategic communication journalism with an emphasis in PR and marketing and psychology. In Columbia, she is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha women's fraternity executive council and is a Rent the Runway campus rep. During her spare time you can find her shopping, spending time with her friends and family, running outside or reading a fashion magazine. Allison has interned at a social media firm, BCV Evolve in Chicago for the past two summers. She hopes to work for a fashion PR firm in Chicago or New York when she graduates and eventually travel to South America.