5 Fashion Rules To Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You’ve been taught to follow the rules all your life, but sometimes it’s okay to break them! Let your style rebel by breaking these five fashion clichés.

Fashion Rule #1: Don’t Wear White After Labor Day

Break It: Your grandma may have told you hide your white jeans and dresses in the back of your closet until Memorial Day, but white is the perfect neutral palette to experiment with summer’s hottest colors. Pair white jeans with a turquoise top or dress up a white sundress with a hot pink blazer to make a spring fashion statement.

Be Careful: Try to only have one white piece in your outfit. Pairing white jeans with white flats and pearls is overkill! Instead, add color!

Fashion Rule #2: Never Mix Prints

Break It: Stop being so matchy-matchy! Not only is mixing prints fun, but it allows you to make the most out of the clothes in your closet. Pair a striped top with a floral skirt for a fresh summer look!

Be Careful: Try to stick to two patterns so your look isn’t overwhelming. Three is not the magic number.

Fashion Rule #3: Leggings Aren’t Pants

Break It: Who doesn’t have a leggings day at least once a week? They’re the perfect option when you’re feeling too lazy for jeans or want to one-up the sweatpants look. Make your casual class look for polished by pairing them with a tee shirt and pearl studs or dress them up with a cardigan and boots.

Be Careful: Make sure your shirt goes past your hips so you’re getting full coverage. Also, it’s a good idea to invest in a pair with high-quality fabric. No one wants to see your panties!

Fashion Rule #4: Wear Minimal Makeup During the Day

Break It: Who said you have to save the bright red lipstick for a night out?  For a quick look, pair your favorite lipstick with a blazer and jeans.  By keeping the rest of your makeup low-key, you’ll be able to create a polished look in a pinch!

Be Careful: Make sure to pair your bright lipstick with a casual but cute outfit. Wearing red lipstick with a short dress to class will make it look like you’re trying too hard, while pairing it with sweats will just look out of place.

Fashion Rule #5: Don’t Pair a Bright Shirt and Pants

Break It: Sticking to an all-neutral outfit can be boring! Add color to your look by pairing a neon top with an equally bright bottom. Try pink and green for a classically preppy look or pair yellow an orange for an unexpected twist.

Be Careful: Make sure your shoes and accessories are neutral. No one wants to sport and ‘80s workout look!

Get ready to be a rule-breaker!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.