Life > Experiences

4 Fall getaways to chase your midterm blues away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The temperatures have dropped and spots of orange and red are beginning to pepper campus. That can only mean one thing: fall has arrived in Columbia. 

For college students, the new season often means breaking out warmer clothes and preparing for midterms. Take a break from studying and visit these festive spots to enjoy the autumnal vibes. 

1. Hermann, Missouri

Rolling hills and colorful leaves add to the charm of this German village set in the Missouri Wine Country. Founded more than 180 years ago, the town is home to a few historic sites and museums to entertain any visiting history buffs. 

Those looking for a more festive experience can check out their various festivals and events hosted. Oktoberfest is celebrated every weekend throughout October, but visitors can sample wine and spirits at local wineries, distilleries and microbreweries year-round. 

For the more adventurous folk, the Katy Trail State Park offers a cycling path alongside river bluffs. Visitors can rent from local vendors or bring their own bicycle. 

University of Missouri senior Rachael Bierschenk visits the scenic town frequently, as she has numerous family friends with homes in the area. 

“Hermann is such a beautiful town with lots to do,” Bierschenk says. “There are really pretty wineries, cute shops, good restaurants, it’s right along the river and just overall such a fun place to spend time.”

Grab a bratwurst, take in the views and unwind in Missouri Wine Country.

1. Innsbrook

For college students seeking an escape from the mid-semester busyness, Innsbruck offers a tranquil, outdoor sanctuary. The picturesque retreat is set on a lake resort in Mid-Missouri, with cozy cabins lining the water, hiking trails to explore and other activities for relaxation and fun. 

This getaway will check all the boxes for the dream autumnal getaway, from a bonfire in the crisp fall air to kayaking on the lake with vibrant oranges and reds reflected onto the water’s surface. 

1. St. Genevieve, Missouri

If lakes aren’t your thing, perhaps a riverside view will pique your interest. St. Genevieve, Missouri runs along the Mississippi river and is known for its 18th-century architecture and charm.

This historic getaway will immerse you in a welcoming town with cozy streets lined with boutiques and historic sites. Visitors can also explore local flavors at nearby wineries and farm-to-table restaurants. 

If the town isn’t enough to give your mind a break from the hubbub of school, the drive certainly will. The path to St. Genevieve is tucked into rolling hills surrounded by fall foliage, and is sure to meet all your autumnal vibe desires. 

1. Shryocks Callaway Farm

Pumpkins, corn mazes and cider are three essentials for the fall season, and Shryocks Callaway Farm has them all. This charming farm is about 20 minutes outside of campus and checks the boxes for the quintessential fall experience. 

Visitors can explore the pumpkin patch, get lost in the corn maze, unwind on the hayride or huddle around a bonfire while sipping warm apple cider and enjoying fresh donuts. The variety of activities offers something for everyone, and is a great choice for a quick visit during this fall season. 

“I grew up in Columbia and I have always loved Shryocks,” University of Missouri senior Emma Goodlet says. “Fall is my favorite season and it has lots of fall activities. I brought my first college friends there our freshman year, and it was so fun to find our way through the corn maze and spend time together.” 

Fall lovers in Columbia have a wide range of choices this season. From traditional farm activities to exploring new sights, there is something to match every autumnal vibe. 

Shannon Worley, a first-year writer for Her Campus Media at Mizzou, is a journalist with a commitment to meaningful, honest storytelling. She strives to be people-focused and connection-driven in her reporting. Before coming to Her Campus, Shannon's journalism journey brought her to West Newsmagazine, Stroll Magazine, The Maneater, Fortune Magazine, Vox Magazine and KMOV-TV. Through these opportunities, Shannon has ventured into diverse realms of reporting, covering topics spanning arts and culture, investigations and social justice. Shannon is excited to continue to tell the stories of Columbians from the Her Campus platform. Reach out with any news tips at shannonworley@mail.missouri.edu.