2022: The Year to Romanticize Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Romanticism is a term that cannot be defined by a few words or paragraphs. It’s complex and comes in a variety of forms depending on the individual creating or receiving it. Many of us picture romance as most of the common clichés. We think of flowers, chocolates, songs, poetry and so much more. But, how could romance overcome these clichés and actually apply to a lifestyle? What does it truly mean to romanticize your life? 

Over the past year, in life and on social media, I have heard my fellow Gen Z-ers encouraging others to “romanticize” their lives. I never really understood what this meant, like much of my generation’s lingo. That is until my “For You” page on TikTok flooded with several inspirational videos and the universe gave me no choice but to write an article about it. So, blame the universe, not me. 

“Romanticizing your life” stems from the idea of “stopping and smelling the roses.” It’s a lifestyle change and an encouragement to see the beauty in all things, especially the little things. It pushes our society — a society that places its worth on virtual realities — to be present and content with the life that they lead and the things that they have. 

But, the tricky thing about romanticism is the negativity attached to it.

In many ways, romance has been coined as “cheesy,” “unattainable” and “only in the movies.” For most of us, even if we want it to be true, we know that it is highly unlikely that Ryan Gosling will write us 365 letters and build our dream house by hand. But, with Nicholas Sparks aside, my generation has me asking the question: Is romanticism really only defined by movies and literature, or is it much broader than what we read and see on-screen?

I believe that this concept is so taboo because most of the time, none of us actually try to make our lives special. That is not an attack on you or how you live your life, but in a world filled with so many fears and self-doubts, it is only expected that most of us hold back from setting high expectations for ourselves. We simply don’t want to be disappointed. This explains why most of the romantic notions created in these movies are considered to be so naive.

But what many fail to recognize is that this is what romanticizing your life is all about. It is about immersing yourself in the present and living your dream life. You are intended to stop and take deep breaths instead of dwelling on what happened in the past or what will happen in the future. It is about living outside of media and the expectations that society has placed on all of us.

So, now you might be asking yourself, “Olivia, what does romanticizing a life even look like?”

First, we must realize that romanticism isn’t always a two-party system. It can be an individual process that is all about self-growth and understanding. Really, it is up to the person going through this lifestyle change. But overall, the whole idea is to create a healthier and more positive lifestyle for yourself without the influence of others. 

You can do this in a variety of ways. Below, I have listed 10 different habits that each of us can implement into our lives. It is up to you whether or not you choose to follow them, but I hope, regardless of this specific list in mind, that you will take the steps to make your life the best that it can be for this new year.

Wake up in the morning and don’t go straight to your phone

Stretch, enjoy a cup of coffee, eat a well-balanced breakfast, exercise, sit outside, read a book and be present. The mornings are the foundation for the rest of your day. Try to prioritize yourself in these moments and take advantage of the stillness and quiet of the morning. Doing this can prepare you for what is to come in the rest of the day and can leave you feeling very fulfilled.

Pack a good lunch

This may seem simple and even a little strange to include, but if you are anything like me, you might consider yourself a grab-and-go type of person. I do not make or eat food to enjoy it. I make food that is quick, simple and satisfying. For this specific tip, I encourage you to meal prep and plan a well-balanced lunch. Pack something that will give you energy and make you excited to continue with your day.

Change your scenery

This could include doing your work on a blanket outside, working at a coffee shop for the day or finding a quiet study room in a library. Changing your workspace can be the key to maintaining your motivation and can place you in a position to meet new people. It can also help you to see things from a different perspective. Maybe it is just me, but I enjoy people watching. It helps me to understand different lives and many of the privileges that I have and take for granted. As a result, I learn to appreciate what I have more. 

Watch the sunrise and sunset

This may sound super cheesy, but in my opinion, nothing is more grounding than witnessing the world wake up and fall asleep. It helps remind you just how large and how small the world truly is. It exhibits that billions of people are waking up right now with different lives and plans, but each of us are still seeing the same sun and moon thousands of miles away from each other. This is very impactful and allows one to see the beauty that the world has to offer and the opportunities that lie ahead. 

Take photos and videos… lots of them

There are many arguments out there that taking out your phone during a momentous occasion is not a true reflection of living in the moment. I argue that whoever says that is simply wrong. Photos are so important in our lives. They allow us to look back and see the person we were and compare it to the person that we have become. They remind us of happy, sad, frustrating and exciting times that would otherwise be forgotten and placed in the filing cabinets in the back of our minds. They are checkpoints in our past and help us to understand how to grow and become better people. 

Find new hobbies and learn new skills, no matter how old you are

It may seem too late for you to find new passions in this life because you had previous ones that others might hold you to. But, nothing is more important than expanding your skills and your love for new things. Whether it be learning the piano, taking a pottery class, joining a book club, starting a dance class at the gym or whatever else interests you, I am here to tell you that it is never too late to learn new things and find value in new hobbies. In fact, it will only help you to become a more well-rounded person with greater knowledge and appreciation for life.

Make playlists for your different moods and occasions

Nothing is more powerful than a good Olivia Rodrigo scream session with your friends after a heartbreak or a chill, oldies playlist on a rainy day. Find songs that inspire you and match your mood. Personally, I find that music can almost justify how I feel in a moment. If I feel sad about an exam grade, I can turn on a mellow song and feel as though my feelings are being reciprocated through the artist. It makes me feel like it is okay to be sad or happy because the person I am listening to is going through the same thing. As well as this, nothing is more fun than having your headphones in while looking out the window as if you are the main character in a movie. 

Dressing yourself up and going about your day

Prioritizing “me-time” is so important to romanticizing your life. Getting yourself around and feeling good about your appearance is so impactful because it helps you to gain more confidence and be more productive. Although sweatpants and sweatshirts are the greatest things on the planet, putting on a cute pair of jeans with an even cuter top can change your whole perspective on how you carry yourself. Find the joy in getting yourself ready and take that time to reflect on your inner and outer beauty. 

Work towards your hopes and dreams

Take BIG steps towards the goals you have for yourself. You can plan all you want, but actually pursuing your dreams and making the strides to achieve them gives you a greater sense of purpose and pride in yourself and the life you are working towards.

Get out of your comfort zone and face your fears

This is a very broad concept and can be applied to everyone’s life in different ways. For example, if you fear heartbreak, put yourself out there this year and meet people. Work on finding love and being vulnerable with others. If you fear getting bad grades and failing an exam, maybe work on finding a balance in your life this year. Instead of stressing about a percentage or a GPA, go out, make friends, hang out with people more and be more in tune with your social life rather than your academic life (Obviously make sure school is still a priority, but cut yourself some slack. No company or organization is going to ask for your GPA from college. As long as you have a degree in hand, you are in the clear!)

Even though I listed only 10 habits that you can implement into your day-to-day routine, romanticizing your life can include way more. In all honesty, romanticism is customizable to each of our lives and is all about making YOU happy, nobody else.

So, here’s to 2022. I hope that each and every one of you can romanticize your way to an even more fulfilling year.

Hi! My name is Olivia Johnson and I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri! I was born and raised in Kansas City, but I live full-time in Columbia now! I love to write, research and sing (super random... I know). I have two dogs (a Goldendoodle named Larry and a Bernedoodle named Sully) and a cat (a Himalayan named Julius)! I love everything beauty, fashion, and lifestyle, so I love HER and the wide range of topics I can talk about here! Make sure you follow me on all of my social media accounts listed down below and make sure to follow the rest of the Her Campus team! Happy reading! Instagram: oliviagalejohnson Twitter: _OliviaJohnson_ LinkedIn: Olivia Johnson - https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivia-johnson-49739a206/