This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Don’t use Facebook much anymore? Only post for your family? Here’s 10 reasons why.

There aren’t any influencers

Despite the typical Multi-Level Marketing profile every now and then, it’s rare to find an influencer with the same caliber of market control, follwage, and influencing ability on Facebook than one on Instagram or Twitter.

Users almost always know celebrities are not running their accounts

The common Facebook user is aware that celebrity accounts are more like “pages,” ran by the celebrity’s publicity team.

Posting ONLY life events

In contrast to a site such as Twitter, those on Facebook are slowly shifting toward a system in which posting anything but a life-event (marriage, first day of school, etc.) is looked down upon and irrelevant.

It’s not easy to go viral

Since the typical Facebook users’ posts can only be seen by their friends, unless shared or public, it’s not as easy to earn your 5 seconds of fame as it is on TikTok or Twitter.

As they’ve branched out to other avenues they’ve lost touch of modern social media

As Facebook has added other services such as Facebook Watch, Marketplace, etc. it has further distanced itself from popular social media applications today. These attempts were made to mirror other applications, but as they continue to pile on the services, the gap between Facebook and modern social media increases.

There’s no reason to make a second account

Unlike Facebook, it’s common to have multiple accounts on one social media site such as Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok. Many of these second accounts are known as “finstas” or “fake-instagrams.” On a finsta, the user can be selective about who follows them and sees their posts, as they post images and statements they typically may not on their main account. The lack of these sort of accounts could also be due to number 8.

Facebook follows the actions of other social media applications, not pioneer

As other applications continue to expand and create new add-ons, we see Facebook following these, not pioneering anything new. For example, adding user “stories” after Instagram and Snapchat; adding Facebook Watch after YouTube and YouTube Premium.

Users are older

Since Facebook crescendoed into stardom in the era of millennials, these millennials and young Gen X-ers are the main users of Facebook today. This is a great contrast to the daily users of modern social media on TikTok, Instagram, and VSCO.

There aren’t any movements or trends sparked by Facebook

It’s rare to see a movement sparked or carried out through Facebook. For example, the Black Lives Matter “blackout” day. This movement was created and carried out on Instagram. Or, #StandwithSophie — created on TikTok, amplified through Twitter. This may be due to a lack of a “trending” page on Facebook that other applications depend.

It’s difficult to find other users to “follow” (friend) — and it’s not common to friend someone you don’t know

Not only is it difficult to find other users to follow/friend, unless you know their specific name — but it isn’t common to friend people you don’t know. Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and even Spotify all have a type of “explore” page that displayd content of other users. Further, it’s a sort of taboo to add a person as a friend that you don’t know, unlike Instagram or Twitter — which could contribute to reason #1.

Facebook is slowing being phased out of popular culture today, despite it’s role in launching the world of social media we use so heavily today. Should Facebook finally get the boot? Or does it deserve a second chance at revival? 

Sophomore at the University of Missouri studying Marketing and Economics, with a minor in Psychology. I'm also involved in The Relevant Youth and Alpha Chi Omega Sorority. I love drawing on my iPad in my free time, cuddling with my cat, or binging a show on Netflix -- sometimes all three!
HC Contributer Mizzou