Tips and Treats for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.
Halloween at the University of Minnesota is always an eventful, and sometimes crazy, weekend. Even
though Halloween falls on a Monday this year, I can guarantee students will be out in full costumed
apparel the whole weekend before. There are plenty Halloween themed activities around campus. Make the most out of the holiday by following these tips.

1. The best costumes are the homemade ones. Ditch the plastic police officer getup and opt for
something more original. Go as your favorite television character or pop culture icon. The Lady
Gaga outfits are overdone so try channeling her original inspiration, Madonna. Want to go as a
typical sexy animal? Don’t go with the standard bumblebee or cat. Try using different black and
white clothes to become a panda. Raid your closet or your friends’, you’ll be surprised at what
will inspire you.

2. Avoid the mall Halloween stores. They are full of the overdone cliché costumes that should be
avoided. Try different secondhand stores instead. Everyday People in Uptown or Saint Paul is
full of vintage and trendy clothes. The best part? You can bring in old garments to trade for a
costume on the spot. Another great resource is Plato’s Closet, which is located in Eden Prairie,
Maple Grove, or Burnsville. Any of their locations are just a short drive away from campus. The
store is filled with newer, but still used and affordable clothes. Plus they have the best selection
of Nike high-tops around, perfect for a 90s or 80s themed ensemble.

3. Wear your costume to the football game! Cheer on the Gophers in style while dressed up as
Amy Winehouse or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Stray away from the usual maroon and gold
for one game.

4. Looking for some spooky entertainment away from campus? Get a group of friends together
and go to a haunted house. One of the scariest and largest tours is Screamtown in Chaska.
Screamtown delivers a high dosage of fright at a $20 price. For something a little less intense
but still thrilling, try Valleyscare Halloween Haunt. The event boasts nine mazes and scare zones.
College students can receive a $3.50 discount with a college ID on Oct. 14, 20, 21, 27, and 28.

Whether you’re looking for a scare or just a fun night out with friends, Minneapolis can offer it. The
most important tip? Have fun. Halloween is a time to let loose and be someone else for a change, even if that means dressing up as Baby Spice for the third year in a row.
Edwina is entering her senior year at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities where she is majoring in Public Relations. This past summer she worked as an orientation leader for Orientation & First Year Programs and was the marketing intern at Mill City Farmers Market. She loves chai tea, the Chicago Bears, country music, and exploring Minneapolis! For more info check out http://about.me/edwinareckel and you can follow her on twitter @ersreck!