This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

“I’ve got places to be, people to see, things to do.” Everyone knows this old saying, but it really rings true in college. There’s just one thing missing from this phrase: “And I’ve got a lot of shit in my backpack.”

Books and Laptop

You’re going to need your books for the classes you’re going to and for the classes you’re going to study for later. You study when you can and where you can, so you’re going to need your books and laptop with you at all times.

Pens

Pens. Hella pens. All the pens. If pens were friends, they’d be the guy who always RSVPs “yes” and then never shows. You could start off with a big box of Pilot pens and by the end of the month only have one of the internal gel cartridges left. When you need a pen the most, they’re nowhere in sight. That’s why you need to keep multiple on you at all times.

Caffeine

College and caffeine are equivalent to peanut butter and jelly. Whether you’re up and at ‘em for your 8 a.m., or you’re in your fifth straight hour at the library, you’re going to need to stay awake. I always make sure to have at least one Red Bull in my bag, my thermos in the side pocket, and a Starbucks gift card stowed safely in my backpack. Caffeine is key to success.

Water Bottle

Water is wildly underrated. A hydrated mind is a working mind. Also, nothing balances your caffeine intake and lack of sleep better than downing a nice, oversized bottle of water. You’ll start to crave the H2O.

Ibuprofen/Advil/Etc.

Nothing hurts more than when you have nothing to stop the hurting. Whether you have a migraine from studying too long, twisted your ankle while walking all the way to and from West Bank or Aunt Flow is just being extra mean, you’ll be covered. Speaking of Aunt Flow…

Tampons

This one is pretty self-explanatory… Never get caught off guard.

Snacks

There’s nothing better than being hungry and realizing you have snacks with you! You could make some healthy choices like almonds or a banana. But sometimes, all you really need is a good candy bar or Pop Tart to get you through. PSA: Don’t forget about your snacks. There’s nothing worse than finding a two-month-old squished banana in the front pocket of your backpack. I’ve fallen victim to the wrath of a squished banana too many times.

Chargers

Energy, got a lotta energy. Got a lot of apps that tryna drain me of my battery. You know those days when you’ve only been out of the house for an hour and you’re already at 24 percent battery? Chargers are a lifesaver. Plus, you can make friends when you save their battery lives too.

A busy schedule calls for a prepared backpack. There’s so many things that you can pack into that small sack – this is just the tip of the iceberg to make sure you can successfully survive your day.

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!