A Guide to Leasing at the U of M

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Leasing’s the first step to becoming adult. No more dorms and no more meal plans for you; you’re going to be living in a place with its own kitchen and you might not even have to share a room. The first step to leasing at the University of Minnesota is to set up your priorities, then execute. I suggest making a list of your needs and wants then starting your research. Here are a few things you will need to take into consideration:

Where do you want to live?

Picking out the location of where you want to live is so important. Something to take into consideration when selecting a location to live is where your classes are. Are you a student in CFANS with a lot of classes on St. Paul campus, or are you a poli-sci major with all of your classes in Blegen 130 on West Bank? Secondly, if you chose to live farther away from campus in a neighborhood like Como, do you have access to public transportation or a bike? Are you willing to invest in getting a bus pass? Another thing to take into consideration when choosing the location is how close you are to convenience stores or grocery stores. Not every student has access to a car and public transportation is only convenient to an extent. Another thing to consider is where your friends are planning on living. Though this shouldn’t be the main factor of choosing your future home, keep in mind that the U is a big place and hanging out with people who live far away from you can get difficult.  

Do you want roommates?

For a lot of people, it’s simply not an option to live alone. Financially, it’s hard for us college kids to pay a high rent. If you want to live alone and you have the funds, studio apartments are great and there are a lot of options for them in Stadium Village at apartment buildings like Stadium View and Wahu. If you do want roommates, the next decision you need to make is about what type of living unit you want.

Do you want to live in an apartment building or a house?

There is a variety of apartment buildings throughout Dinkytown, Stadium Village and Minneapolis. Some Dinkytown favorites are the Bridges and the Marshall. If you want a smaller building, check out the 412 Lofts or the Fourth Street Co-Op. If you want to live in a house, there are a lot of options in Dinkytown on the streets behind Target and off of Como Ave. Whatever you do, make sure to ask a lot of questions when you tour. Here are a few things you should be sure to ask the staff in the leasing office:

• What’s the laundry situation?

• Is there air-conditioning and heating?

• Are utilities included in rent?

• Where do I take out my trash?

• Where should I send my mail?

• What’s the pet policy?

• Are there any extra fees outside of rent?

• Smoking policy?

• Is water a flat rate?

• Is it furnished?

• Is rent negotiable?

• How is security?

• Is there WFi/cable?

• What’s the parking situation?

• What amenities are included? (Is there a gym? Is there a tanning bed? What about parking spaces? Do I have to take care of the lawn myself?)

What does your budget look like?

What are you able to pay for housing? Talk to your parents and evaluate your financial situation. The area around the U has many different options for housing; monthly rent prices can vary from $400 to $1,000. Price is mostly dependent upon where you want to live. The closer to campus or the city, the higher the cost of living will be.

For those who are studying abroad for a semester, planning on taking a semester off or want to stay up in Minneapolis for the summer, you can sublease for an allotted amount of time. A lot of students often find out they’ve been accepted to study abroad after signing their lease. Be sure to take all of the aforementioned points into consideration and also communicate with the person you are subleasing from in-depth. The University of Minnesota has a Facebook group dedicated to housing, sublets, and roommates.

Although this guide isn’t comprehensive, my best advice for leasing is to WAIT. Don’t stress out about signing a lease; there will always be more time and you’ll find the best fit. Don’t sign out of fear of not having housing, and don’t feel pressured by the leasing agent you’re working with. Remember to ask a lot of questions and that it’s okay to be stingy! Enjoy your journey to finding the perfect home for next school year!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.