This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Many people, especially those not involved in greek life, have predetermined thoughts about students in sororities and fraternities–including many stereotypes that are simply untrue. Sending a message from the greek community as a whole, I believe we’re all sick of hearing these comments over and over.

1. We’re all white, straight, blue-eyed blondes.

Despite this common misconception, we actually represent all races, the LBGTQA+ community and all political views. There is no “type.” My sorority is full of so many different people with differing perspectives, and I love that we’re all unique in our experiences.

2. We only party in our free time.

Let me make this clear once and for all. Sororities. Are. Dry. There’s no alcohol allowed in the house. We can’t throw parties. Also, there’s no requirement for sorority girls to go to any fraternity’s parties. If a woman who happens to be in a sorority goes to a fraternity, that’s their own business. Many non-Greek students go to frat parties, too (at least here on the University of Minnesota campus).

3. We don’t focus on our academics.

Wrong. We have a minimum GPA required to stay in our chapters, which isn’t easily attainable for everyone. My chapter personally hosts study hours every day to offer members a quiet place to study on campus. We have a scholarship director who organizes academic challenges for us, and we all work together to make sure we’re putting in the time and effort to understand every class. There’s also a Greek Tutors program. You can be tutored in a certain subject by someone in the Greek community who was successful in that subject, and you can also volunteer as a tutor to be a resource to others in the Greek community.

4. We only hang out with people in our sorority.

I hang out with people who aren’t in Greek life all the time, and I also hang out with people who are in different chapters. Most of my best friends are all in different chapters or not Greek at all! Just because someone isn’t Greek doesn’t mean I won’t be friends with them, and I know that other members of the Greek community feel the same.

5. We pay for our friends.

Actually, I pay for housing fees, national fees, food, PR items and more. I’m friends with the women in my sorority because we all joined with the same values and morals. I’m not best friends with 100% of the girls in my sorority, though I appreciate all of them. I became closest with the girls in my sorority similar to how would you become friends with anyone else. Being in Greek life just gives you the opportunity to meet more people with the same interests as you.

6. Sorority girls are all “daddy’s money” girls.

I personally pay my own dues, adding over $1000 a semester. I earn that money from working hard at my job. No, not all of our parents pay for everything and we aren’t all rich, spoiled brats.

7. All sorority girls do is chase frat boys.

We don’t go after boys just because they’re in a fraternity. The women in my sorority who have boyfriends aren’t all dating men in fraternities. Regardless of their Greek life involvement, they’re actually the most kind, caring, warm-hearted and strong men I have ever met. Additionally, we aren’t all straight, meaning we definitely aren’t all chasing frat boys around.

Hopefully you take these comments to heart and know that like most stereotypes, these stereotypes aren’t accurate. We’re like anyone not in Greek life. We just chose to join an organization that aligns with our values and provides us with opportunities for leadership, growth, internships, networking and friendships.