This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

During the month of October, “Netflix and Chill” turns into “Netflix and literally can’t chill because I have to check my closet 20 times to make sure there’s nobody in there.” It’s the time when monsters, ghosts and serial killers all have a special place in your heart (and in your mind every time you try to go to bed). Whether you can only handle movies that have the level of fright as in the music video “Thriller,” or if you’re looking for some ACTUAL thrillers, here are eight must-see Halloween movies on Netflix…

The Addams Family

This is a classic film for those who want a taste of Halloween, but also want to be able to sleep with their lights off when they go to bed at night. This strange and sinister family may make your family look normal. Its combination of creepy and comedy makes it perfect for any audience, whether you’re watching it with your gals or a date!

E.T.

Keep in mind that this movie was created in a completely different time period and the special effects may not on the level of movies in 2016, but it’s overall a fun, feel good movie and may convince you that you want an alien BFF.

Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

If you’re anything like me, you grew up watching the Scooby Doo cartoons every single morning on Cartoon Network. These two movies have real actors, so the monsters may be a little more intimidating than the ones you saw when you were 4. And honestly, who doesn’t love a movie about a talking dog who fights crime?

Sweeney Todd

Is there anything that Johnny Depp can’t do? He can be the Mad Hatter, a creepy candy factory owner or a twisted barber who goes a little cray. This film may make you do a double take at your next hair appointment. If the movie gets too scary, just try to remember him as my favorite character, Captain Jack Sparrow, and that’ll lighten the mood.

Hush

This new movie on Netflix has 4.5 out of 5 stars for a reason. It’ll leave you paranoid in any moment of silence. The protagonist is a deaf woman who can’t hear her stalker, so it gives this horror movie an extra twist. It might be smart to watch this with a friend and then never leave your friend’s side…like ever.

The Awakening

There’s nothing that hits level ten creepiness quite like a scary movie that’s set in the 1920s. I mean, if they see a ghost, what can they really do? They can’t text anyone about it, and it definitely wouldn’t make their Snapchat story since Snapchat wouldn’t have been created for another 90 years. So they have to tough it out the hard way…without any form of social media to document #TheStruggle.

Jaws

I know that we go to the University of Minnesota, so there’s no ocean anywhere remotely near us, but sharks are still something to be afraid of! Sure, they won’t peek in your windows or haunt you in your sleep, but there’s still a chance that they could turn your life around if you ever do make it to a coast.

The Uninvited

The idea of having an evil stepmother is not a new concept. But the stepmother in “The Uninvited” makes Cinderella’s stepmom look like mom of the year.

It’s always a great option to have a night in and eat a bag of your fave candy on a chilly fall night. Have a safe and fun Halloween and remember to check behind your shower curtains once or twice before hitting the hay…just to be sure.

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96