This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

It’s almost here. After three months of classes, projects, tests, and stress, winter break is only a few short weeks away. All you have to do is make it through your finals and you’ve made it. Here’s some friendly reminders about all you have to look forward to, and hopefully it will fuel you through your caffeinated nights at the library these coming weeks.

1. No More Homework

The real reason for the season is that for a few blessed weeks, there’s no school, no classes, and no homework. Winter break is long enough that you can appreciate the time off from school-related stresses, but not so long that you start to miss your usual routine.

2. More Sleep!

Winter break is a great time to catch up from all the sleep you missed during the semester – especially during finals week. You can sleep late, go to sleep early, take naps, and maybe most importantly, sleep in your own bed if you go home for the holidays. For those college students stuck in a dorm room, that will make you feel especially blessed.

3. Family Time

Going home for the holidays means you get to spend some quality time with your parents, siblings, and maybe even extended family that you haven’t seen in awhile if they’re coming over for Christmas dinner. If you don’t get to go home on weekends during the semester, the holidays are a great opportunity to spend time with the people you love, and they’ll annoy you a lot less when you haven’t seen them for months.

4. Seeing Old Friends

Along with your family, you might also get the chance to catch up with some old friends from your hometown that you don’t get to see when you’re all spread out in different places throughout the year. It’s definitely one of the only times where you can all get together and hang out, so take advantage!

5. The Food!

There are so many great things about food over the holidays. First and foremost, it’s not dining hall food. For students who don’t have meal plans, it’s a break from cooking for yourself. Plus, there are all the holiday goodies that everyone loves. No one can say no to Christmas cookies.

6. Presents!

Christmas presents don’t get any less exciting with age, though your wish list has probably changed quite a bit from when you were a kid. Instead of asking for ‘a pony!’ you want ‘my textbooks for next semester’. At the very least, you’ll come out the holiday season hopefully with a little more money in your bank account.

7. Knowing Your Grades

This one is a mixed bag for sure, and might cause some anxiety leading up to it. In the end, it’s better to know where you stand than not, and knowing your grades and putting fall semester behind you will only help you better prepare for returning in the spring.

8. No More Walking Through Campus

One of the best things about winter break isn’t just that there’s no class – it’s that you don’t have to walk there. No more trying to get to campus while it’s snowing, no more taking crowded and wet buses when it’s too gross to walk, no more piling on the layers before you step outside your door. You can stay at home, warm and cozy, and won’t have to brave the elements to get to your lab on time.

You just have to make it a little longer until winter break is finally here. Focus on studying for now, but all of this and more awaits you when it’s over as your reward.

Courtney Welu is a student at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities who studies English and theatre.
Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.