7 Media Releases to Get Excited For in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

It’s 2017, and with a new year comes 365 days of possibilities. We can never know what exactly this year has in store for us, but one certainty is that there are a ton of exciting new movies, albums and TV shows slated to be released this year. Here are the top 8 media releases to get excited for in 2017.

1. ÷ by Ed Sheeran (March 3, 2017)

Ed Sheeran already surprised his fans by releasing not one, but two new singles after a year long hiatus. Sheeran’s albums always produce a fantastic mix of slow love songs (like 2014’s “Thinking Out Loud”) and upbeat, contemporary songs with a hint of hip hop (like the absolute banger “You Need Me, I Don’t Need You”). Sheeran has kept most of the details on his new project a mystery, but it’s guaranteed that this album will be on repeat for months.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May 5, 2017)

If the sequel manages to capture the same amount of fun and adventure as the first film, then audiences are in for a treat. The teaser trailer has fourteen million views and counting, and fans have already started guessing which songs will be featured on the second soundtrack. Marvel movies have been massively popular these past few years, and this new addition (hopefully) won’t disappoint.

3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7, 2017)

Alright, I’ll admit that even though I appreciate a good superhero movie, I am getting a bit of spider-fatigue. However, after seeing the teaser trailer, I’m all in. This newest endeavor looks to be the perfect mix of the somewhat cheesy, original Tobey Maguire trilogy and the dark and moody Andrew Garfield reboot. Audiences already got a preview of Tom Holland’s portrayal in the 2016 blockbuster Captain America: Civil War, and were pleasantly surprised with the new tone that Marvel is taking with the character. Plus, Zendaya is in the film, so I have high hopes.

4. Stranger Things Season 2 (Summer 2017)

If you haven’t heard about this show, then you’ve probably been living in a no-wifi-zone for the past year. If you have already seen the show, I’m willing to bet that you’re just as excited as I am about the new season. The finale left fans with so many questions that hopefully will be answered in the second season.

5. Beauty and the Beast (March 17, 2017)

I could write a 25- page thesis paper on how much I love the original animated version, so you can guess how excited I am for this movie. I could go on and on about how perfect the casting of Emma Watson, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci and many more are for their roles. Seriously, I cry every time a trailer comes on my television so I will happily sob my way through this beautiful movie.

6. Possible Taylor Swift album

Nothing is confirmed yet, but Taylor Swift has consistently released an album every two years, but skipped 2016. A lot has been going on with Swift in the past few years, including her messy break-up with Calvin Harris, a relationship with Tom Hiddleston, and let’s not forget the drama between Kim and Kanye over Kanye’s song Famous. If you ask me, that sounds like plenty of material for another record breaking album.

7. New Seasons of All Your Favorite Shows

Can we all just agree that there are too many amazing shows and not enough time to watch them all? Sherlock season four has already aired on PBS and is soon to be on Netflix, and it’s only January.

Game of Thrones season 7 premieres this summer, as well as new seasons of The 100, Shameless, The Walking Dead, Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away With Murder, Homeland and Scandal. Plus, final seasons of fan favorites such as Bones, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries. There are so many premieres and finales that I don’t think I can keep up with it all!

2017 already looks significantly better than 2016 according to this list. Get ready to pop some popcorn and grab your headphones, because 2017 is sure to give us some awesome new material to obsess over.

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.