7 Essentials Every Girl Should Have In Her Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.
No matter what your style might be, there are staple items that every girl should have in her closet. Of course this doesn’t mean that you need to own all of these items, but they each serve as basic pieces
that can be used for a number of different looks and tailored to fit your own personal style
Read on for our seven tips! 

[ header = 1. Boyfriend Blazer]

Dressed up or dressed down, a blazer adds a dash of sophistication to any outfit. The easiest color to work with is black since it goes with just about anything. Try it with skinny jeans, a plain
top, and flats for a more casual look. For a dressier outfit, pair the blazer with a dress or pencil
skirt with heels.

[ header = 2. Crossbody Bag]

Nothing is more irritating than lugging around a bulky purse when you’re trying to shop at

a store or when you’re at a crowded bar. Keep your arms and hands free and protect your
belongings with a simple messenger bag. If you like packing a lot of things with you, get a larger
one, or try a smaller one if you tend to pack light.

Forever21 Woven Trimmed Handbag, $18.80

[ header = 3. Statement Jewelry]

Add some pizzazz to any outfit with a statement piece whether it’s earrings, a necklace, or

bracelets. Less is always more so be careful of overdoing it. If you decide to try out the look,
a rule of thumb is to pick only one piece to wear. Don’t sport big feather earrings with a huge
chunky necklace- it’ll just come across as too gaudy and tacky.

[ header = 4. Boots, Boots, Boots! ]

And no, I don’t mean UGG boots. I know it can be EXTREMELY tempting for all the ladies to
live in their precious Uggs (I know I’m definitely guilty of this once winter hits) but it’s nice to
change it up every once in a while. There are soooo many different styles of boots: leather,
suede, combat, cowboy, vintage inspired, short, tall, flat, heeled, whatever! So give your Uggies
a break and start switching it up!

[ header = 5. Hat]

We’ve all had our fair share of bad hair days, and throwing on a hat is a quick and simple fix to
this classic nightmare, not to mention that it also keeps you warm. Before you freak out and
say that hats never look good on you, it’s important to understand that it’s not that something
is wrong with the shape of your head; it’s that you haven’t found the right style to flatter your
face. It’s almost like shopping for sunglasses. Don’t knock it till you try it- test out a bunch of
different styles to figure out what works for you.

[ header = 6. Oversized Cozy Sweater]

Lazy day? Instead of reaching for your favorite sweatshirt or sweatpants, throw on a comfy
oversized sweater. It’s warm, relaxed and an easy alternative if you don’t feel like getting all dolled
up for the day. Keep in mind that balance is key, so wear skinny jeans or leggings rather than baggy
pants to avoid looking sloppy. Finish off the look with complementary pieces like boots and a scarf.

[ header = 7. Signature Nail Polish]

Sometimes just a touch of color does the trick. Think of it as the extra sprinkles on top of your favorite ice cream- you might not remember to add them every time, but when you do, you’re glad you did. My motto is that if you’re going to spend money on nail polish and plan on wearing it often, then you might as well splurge and buy a nicer polish that won’t chip within five minutes of application. Essie and OPI are salon-quality brands worth checking out. 

That’s all of the fashion advice I have for now! Check back back for more style advice throught the year! 

Forever21 Woven Trimmed Handbag, $18.80

3. Statement Jewelry

4. Boots, boots, boots!
a break and start switching it up!

5. Hat

6. Oversized Cozy Sweater

7. Signature Nail Polish
Sometimes just a touch of color does the trick. Think of it as the extra sprinkles on top of
your favorite ice cream- you might not remember to add them every time, but when you do,
you’re glad you did. My motto is that if you’re going to spend money on nail polish and plan on
wearing it often, then you might as well splurge and buy a nicer polish that won’t chip within
five minutes of application. Essie and OPI are salon-quality brands worth checking out.
Edwina is entering her senior year at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities where she is majoring in Public Relations. This past summer she worked as an orientation leader for Orientation & First Year Programs and was the marketing intern at Mill City Farmers Market. She loves chai tea, the Chicago Bears, country music, and exploring Minneapolis! For more info check out http://about.me/edwinareckel and you can follow her on twitter @ersreck!