This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Let’s talk about makeup for a second. I have a very complex love-hate relationship with makeup that started around middle school and has persisted well into adulthood. I have been trying, with varying rates of failure, to be able to apply my makeup in a way that makes me look better, not worse (or clownish), but I just don’t get it. I’m hoping I’m not the only one who faces this struggle every morning. So, if you’re anything like me and you experience challenges in the beauty product department, you’ll relate to this list of makeup struggles only we can understand.

You always end up stabbing yourself with eyeliner or mascara.

Every makeup aisle is overwhelming.

Why are there so many different types of lipstick?

Matching your skintone is an impossible feat.

Washing it all off at the end of the day requires more effort than putting it on (it’s never as easy as Mulan makes it seem).

You don’t understand the importance of eyebrows.

When you try to use glitter products, it gets everywhere and never disappears.

You turn to Youtube to learn some new skills, but it always goes horribly wrong.

Winged eyeliner is a work of art that you will never be able to master.

At the end of the day you usually look like a melted clown.

The smokey eye look? More like a confused raccoon.

When you see someone out in the world with perfect makeup, you stare at them in wonder.

You have no idea why someone needs 10+ brushes or even what the different brushes do.

Bronzer is terrifying, and you always end up orange.

WTF is a contour?!?!?!?

Even though makeup can be a struggle, you can play around with different products (successfully or not!), and experiment to find out what works for you. Makeup’s job is to make you feel more confident, whether that means a full glam face or just chapstick. Just remember, whether you’re a makeup guru or an amateur, your inner beauty will always shine through.

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace. 
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.