This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I watch a lot of YouTube; I probably spend the majority of my time watching everything from beauty vloggers to conspiracy theories. Because of my love for the video platform, I wanted to share with you all one of my all-time favorite YouTubers: Shane Dawson.

In 2008, Shane Dawson launched his YouTube channel. When he first began creating content, it was a lot of comedy sketches and, more often than not, quite controversial. His dark sense of humor gave him a dedicated audience and some opinionated “haters”. From there his videos changed to conspiracy theories, making giant food cakes, and testing weird products. He released content five days a week, every week, for years.

Ten years later, Dawson changed the entire feel of his channel. I think the change started to come to life when he made a video series confronting his parents and talking about his childhood. This is the first time we really see him open up to his viewers and share part of himself to the world. From there we see his content blossom from quickly producing videos on a day by day basis to work he’s genuinely proud of.

Some of his biggest ‘docu-series’ feature other content creators like Trisha Paytas, grav3yardgirl, Tana Mongeau, Jeffree Star, and even Jake Paul. He has done a lot for his fellow YouTube creators. He goes behind the scenes and shows fans the side of their favorite influencers they never get to see.  He helped Bunny Meyer (grav3yardgirl) save her channel. He sought to find out the truth behind Tanacon. He showed the world how successful Jeffree Star actually is. He also went ‘Inside the Mind of Jake Paul’ to determine if Jake Paul is a sociopath.

Dawson has opened up a lot more about his personal life and his struggle with mental health. He talks about his anxiety and his battle with body dysphoria. He even made a mini-series living his worst fear, going bald. He wants his audience to know that they are not alone, and not matter their situation they have someone who will always stand beside them.

Shane is creating content he genuinely enjoys and believes in. While many may say they miss his frequent uploads and funny content, his new format is enthralling and fresh. His next big series is set to release on January 30th. While the content remains a secret, it is sure to be yet another conspiracy series that captures millions of people’s attention.

There’s so much more I could say, but I’ll leave you with this: Shane Dawson may have previously been a controversial YouTube creator, but now his work is nothing short of a masterpiece. Shane has recently reached twenty million subscribers, and he deserves every single one of them. He has a big heart, an authentic spirit, and does everything he can to be completely candid on camera. So, if you’re a conspiracy theory enthusiast or if you just want to watch a genuine YouTuber spending time with his friends and family trying to uncover the truth, I recommend you tune into Shane’s channel. 

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3