This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I have always loved writing and I’m a huge supporter of women’s empowerment, so of course when I found out that Her Campus had a chapter at Millersville, I was super excited to join! My experiences in the club have been great, and I want to share them with anyone who wants to know more about what being a part of Her Campus is like. Maybe it will even persuade you to join your university’s chapter, if you haven’t already!

Writing is one of my favorite ways to spend my time. Being in college, I have a lot of opportunities to write, but not always what I want to write about. With Her Campus, I can write about anything my heart desires! I have written articles involving academic and career success, date ideas, haircare, and several other topics. I also keep an ever-expanding list on my phone of new ideas to write about in the future! The possibilities are endless! It is so nice to be able to take a break from my studies to write about something fun that takes my mind off of everyday life. School can be fun, but we all need to do something different every once in a while!

Another reason that I joined this club is because I love empowering women and feeling empowered. The people in my club are so encouraging, kind, and eager to include new people. It is a fun environment that is all about lifting up women and people of all genders and backgrounds. Last semester, we partnered with Milagro House to raise awareness of their cause and gather donated supplies around campus. I was able to hand out informational flyers and tell people about the non-profit at a table we set up on campus. Even though it was simple, this act helped me feel connected not only to Milagro House, but also to my community, and to feel like I was a part of something bigger than myself.

To get the most out of being a member of Her Campus, it is so important to take an active role in the club! Attending bonding events is a great way to connect with fellow members and to have fun while doing it! When I was first considering joining the club, a few of the members explained what Her Campus was all about. The bonding events that each chapter holds came up, and I was immediately interested. As a transfer student during COVID who also commutes, I had a difficult time finding connections when I first came to Millersville. Doing fun activities with a friendly group who had similar interests to mine sounded like a great way to do that, and it has been! In fact, after three semesters of being a member of Her Campus, this is my first semester as the bonding coordinator of my chapter! Planning the events has been a blast and has also made me feel even more connected to the group as a whole.

Now that I’ve got you all buttered up, if you’ve been thinking about joining Her Campus, let me take this opportunity to give you some advice: do it! You will not regret it; I promise. I have enjoyed being part of this club so much, and I cannot believe that this is my second to last semester with this awesome group! My involvement as a member has given me more confidence, an outlet to write about anything and everything, and a great opportunity to be in a leadership role. I can’t wait to see what this next year will bring!

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!