This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

My boyfriend and I started dating in early May, but we became friends in February first. We met in our online Communication Research class on Zoom. We were two of the only students in the class who talked, let alone turned on our cameras. I thought he seemed very outgoing and sweet. I was instantly drawn to him and knew I wanted to become friends with him. I mustered up the courage to send him a direct message on Instagram, simply saying I thought we had many common interests and how I am always open to making new friends at Millersville University. Little did I know that message would spark a beautiful relationship with my now best friend. 

Okay, I know this sounds cheesy and cliché, but love comes unexpectedly when you are not actually searching for it. I did not have any intention of being in a relationship at the time. I was very independent and focused on self-growth early this year. I would never have imagined that my relationship with my boyfriend would teach me incredible lessons about myself. In previous relationships, I always felt like I was never good enough or that I had to alter parts of who I was. I did not have the confidence in myself and what I have to offer today. It made me believe the negative distortion that I was unworthy of healthy love and a healthy relationship. I am a hopeless romantic, so I think a part of me remained hopeful that one day I would achieve the kind of love you see in Nicholas Sparks movies. However, I came to realize that love is not always traditional, and those movies do not depict realistic love. 

“I think you can have an extraordinary love with ordinary things.”

Rachel Ritchey

I think you can have an extraordinary love with ordinary things. What matters most is how much you care for the other person in the equation. Money and material possessions do not equate to happiness. I think only love can, whether it be in a relationship, friendship, or family. My boyfriend does not even know that he taught me that I am worthy of a deep love. I am loveable and worthy just as I am. My whole self is enough, and I do not have to hide or alter parts of who I am when I’m around him. He accepts all parts of me, the happy and the not so much. Even though our relationship has not been very long, I have already taken so much out of it. He has given me an extravagant amount of happiness in my life, and I cannot repay him for that.

The moral of my story basically is that you are so worthy of love; love from friends, love from family, love from co-workers, love from an intimate relationship, and so much more. Previously, I thought I would never deserve a relationship like the one I have with my boyfriend now. No matter how people have made you feel in previous relationships, there will always be someone there to treat you with the love and kindness you deserve. The way people treated you is a reflection of their own character, not of a perceived flaw you think you possess. You have an insurmountable amount of love to offer the right person. My mind goes back to the old saying, “If you could love the wrong person that much, imagine how much you could love the right person.” Wait for that person and do not settle for less than you deserve. You are a precious gift, and you deserve someone who will recognize you as such.

HCXO,

Rachel

Rachel Ritchey

Millersville '22

Rachel Ritchey is a senior public relations major at Millersville University. Rachel is the President of the Millersville University Her Campus Chapter. She is also the PR Chair of the All Campus Musical Organization and a member of Navigators. She is passionate about type 1 diabetes awareness, women empowerment, social media management, music, mental health, and self-care. ♡