This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The new decade is in full swing-and so is the spring semester. It is important to keep your head above water when getting back into your school routine, and that means knowing how to properly manage your school time with your social life. I’ve compiled some of the most useful ways that I stay grounded when it comes to school and socializing.

Make Sure School is Your Number One Priority

This one may seem obvious, but it’s easier than it seems to slip through the cracks. Make sure that you’re keeping up with assignments, due dates, notes, etc. You’re probably paying a lot of money to attend school, so it’s worthwhile to make it your number one focus and do your best.

Try to Complete Your Assignments (or at least make progress on them) Before Winding Down for the Evening

This one is important! I know that it’s tempting to jump into your bed or immediately hang out with your friends as soon as your last class of the day is over. It’s vital that you make some sort of progress on your coursework before jumping onto your phone for hours or heading out for the night. Even if it’s doing a little bit of studying or working on part of an assignment, something is better than nothing!

Try to Make Designated Study/Homework Time

This was one of the ways that I stayed on top of my schoolwork in an organized way last year. I always planned an hour or two to crack down on studying and assignments a few times a week. This did a few things for me:

• Helped me make significant progress on my assignments (obviously!)
  • Allowed me to plan around those hours to make plans with my friends
  • Kept my stress levels to a minimum, as I knew that I wasn’t slacking off and was making an effort within my courses

​Try to Organize Times for Socializing

This one may seem sort of silly, but it’s helpful. It is beneficial to talk to your friends in advance to plan a time that you can hang out, so that you can arrange your academic schedule as needed. It’s much more stress-free than dropping what you’re doing and trying to figure out what assignments you have to finish when you’re back from hanging out.

Those are some of the tips that I found helped me last year, and I hope that they will do the same for you! Good luck this semester!

HCXO, Alexandra

*All images courtesy of Google Images.

Hi I'm Alexandra! I'm an English major with a concentration in writing studies, along with a minor in film studies, at Millersville University. I love to write, take pictures of anything and everything, and spend time with my family and friends. <3
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3