This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Even though the end of the semester is here, and I should be feeling relief and joy over each completed assignment, I can’t help but feel stressed all of the time! I feel like I have no time for anything fun, and I am constantly studying or working and I just need to catch a break. Being that reading is my favorite thing to do that never fails to calm me down, I created a list of three books that I will (attempt) to read as the semester draws to a close.

Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas

I couldn’t totally tell you what this book is about, but doesn’t that make reading this book that much more fun? I started reading this book a few days ago, and all I can say is that the ominous nature of the plot has reeled me in. We follow Ines as she starts her first year at Catherine House, which is a prestigious and infamous university where students give up everything from their personal lives, including their family, for three years of an excellent education and seclusion. There’s something dark and mysterious behind Catherine House however, and even though I haven’t gotten far into the plot to judge, I am quite thrilled to see what is lurking in these dark halls. This may be a unconventional pick for a book to lift one’s spirit, however I feel like a person can use a bit of thrill during this scary, scary time in ones education!

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brönte

I LOVE CLASSICS and I wish I was over-exaggerating my love for them. Being that the semester is coming to a close, I am starting to think of the classes I am taking next semester. Recently, I declared a British Literature as a minor, because who doesn’t love some classic British lit?? In preparation for next semester, I figured I should get excited and read my first Brönte, and Wuthering Heights felt like the best first pick.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Ask anyone that knows me, and they will say that I literally don’t shut up about this book. It is one of my all time favorite books, not only because it is absolutely brilliant, but because it makes me think back to a time in my life when I wasn’t stressed and I was so happy. This semester was a rough one, and right about now I could use some comfort. This story takes place in the Grishaverse, and I highly recommend reading Bardugo’s Shadow and Bone series first to understand the basic logistics of the universe (I promise that reading three books is worth it, especially since Bardugo is the author). We follow Kaz Brekkar, a gang member, and five other characters, as these “Crows” try to pull off an almost-impossible heist. Its action-packed, fast paced, and even a little romantic at times, and the reader gets to read chapters from each characters point-of-view and it’s just truly spectacular. I highly recommend the sequel as well, Crooked Kingdom, but I advise reading this during finals because it will emotionally wreck you.

I hope these recommendations inspire you to try and take it easy during the end of the semester, because even though grades are important, your mental health it too!

HCXO,

Bri

Bri Clark

Millersville '24

Hey! I'm Bri and I am a sophomore at Millersville University majoring in Middle Level English Education. I love insanely cheesy literature, iced coffee (lots of it!), hanging with my dogs, fall-scented candles, indie/alt music, and binge watching television. I am so excited to continue writing for the HC Millersville team!