This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Being a college student can be very exciting – there are new friends, new experiences, and new interests. But let’s be honest, all this new stuff comes with a host of not-so-great things as well – new stress, new commitments, and new responsibilities. When I have time to decompress, I like to take the opportunity to get lost in a story with some of my favorite fictional characters. Here are three of my go-to comfort characters! 

Charlotte Cheshire GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Celeana sardothien

First up, I have Celeana Sardothien, the fierce and fiery assassin from the Sarah J. Mass Throne of Glass series. This eight-book adventure is a young adult fantasy series, complete with epic battles, fae, and of course, a little romance on the side. Celeana is such an interesting character because her past is slowly revealed over the course of the series, which leaves you wanting to read more to find out about her. She is quite a morally grey character and makes you question her decisions sometimes, but I think that adds to the fun. Most of all, she is brave and extremely loyal to those she loves.

Molly Murphy

My second comfort character is Molly Murphy, from the Molly Murphy Mystery Series by Rhys Bowen. Molly is an Irish immigrant who arrives in New York city in 1902. On the boat ride to America, someone is murdered on board, and Molly is a falsely accused suspect. She ends up solving the crime and endeavors to become a private detective herself. Molly is a favorite character of mine because she has qualities that I truly admire. She is courageous, kind, and unafraid to stand out in the crowd. I love to follow along on her adventures. 

Percy jackson

My last pick is Percy Jackson, a childhood favorite, from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. I read these books in middle school, and it felt like I was growing up along with Percy and his friends. Middle school is such an awkward time, and Percy captures this experience in a relatable and funny way. Even though he starts the series at only 12 years old, he has a lot of layers to his character. I appreciate the way Rick Riordan explored his depth in a way that many middle-grade authors fail to do. It has been almost 10 years since I finished reading this series, but I would read it again in a heartbeat! 

Sarah Jacobs

Millersville '25

Sarah Jacobs is the current treasurer of Her Campus Millersville. She is a junior communications major with a minor in French.