Let’s Get Cooking: My 5 Favorite Fall Themed Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Fall is my absolute favorite season, I love the weather, the flavors, the colors, and the holidays within the season. I also love to cook/bake. I have been cooking since I was little and baking since I was a teenager – for me, fall has some really great building blocks for flavor. I am going to share some of my favorite fall inspired recipes to get this season cooking! I wanted to give some diversity by including a soup, a dessert, a main dish, a drink, and a snack.

[I will also link the websites where you can find these recipes and try them yourself!]

• Butternut Squash Soup

This is one of my moms’ favorite things to make in the fall. Butternut squash is a beautiful fall ingredient that has a golden orange color and the texture of a a pumpkin/potato mix. This recipe is really easy and smells amazing. The squash will be hard so you have to cook it down to soften with lots of herbs, salt/pepper, and onion. Once the squash becomes nice and tender you put the whole thing in the blender so it gets smooth and creamy! I would serve this with a little bit of cheese on top and with crusty buttered bread. You can eat the soup cold, but I just prefer a hot, melty, creamy, soup!

Here is the Butternut Squash Soup recipe I use: https://www.loveandlemons.com/butternut-squash-soup/

• Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie is by far my favorite pie in the world. I love the flaky crust mixed with the sweet, gooey center and salty, crunchy pecans – perfection. Many people think that pecan pie is really hard to make but actually it has a small list of ingredients and easy to follow steps. For the crust you can buy already made crust but the link below also has hyperlink embedded for a homemade crust if you are feeling really professional. The trick for pecan pie is that when you take it out of the oven it should jiggle in the dish a little bit, this is NOT under baked, it needs to set up still and stabilize [don’t put it back in the over it could over-bake]. You can also freeze this pie and serve it at different points!!

Here is the Pecan Pie recipe I use: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/my-favorite-pecan-pie-recipe/

• Sheet Pan Garlic Herb Chicken w/ Roasted Potatoes & Green Beans

I know I know, that was a mouthful. However, in fall weather one of the best feelings is have a hot, flavorful, hearty meal that is easy to prep and cook. Chicken is not traditional what you think of when someone says ‘fall flavors’. I am here to challenge that. Chicken is one of the most versatile proteins ever and it takes in so much flavor. This dish is baked in the over on a single sheet pan, the chicken, potatoes, beans, herbs, spices, butter – everything. This dish is also super low maintenance and can be made for 1 person, 2 people, or even 6 people.

Here is the Sheet Pan Chicken, Potato, & Beans Recipe: https://cafedelites.com/sheet-pan-garlic-herb-butter-chicken/

Chicken
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
  • Warm Spiced Autumn Punch

This is a nonalcoholic punch that is fruity, spicy [nutmeg & cinnamon spicy not buffalo sauce spicy]. This punch is great for parties, dinners, or just a night by the fire. It consists of apple, lemon, & pineapple juices, honey, and oranges, along with a handful of fall-themed spices. Most of the ingredients get thrown in a pot and warmed, the longest part is baking the oranges to float on top of the punch! You can also chill it and serve it as a cold drink. I also will add for all of you 21+ that spiking this punch will make for a delicious fall-themed rave for sure (:

[please drink legally & responsibly]

Here is the Spiced Punch recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20505/warm-and-spicy-autumn-punch/

• Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

This had become a fall favorite of mine. I had never had roasted pumpkin seeds in my life until last Halloween when I carved pumpkin with my boyfriend, Andrew, for the first time. His mom, Aimee, took all the pumpkin seeds from our carvings and roasted them with salt and a little bit of oil. You can of course buy pumpkin seeds from the store if you don’t want to take them out of the pumpkin yourself and wash them – if you do this make sure they are raw, unsalted, un-roasted; I just think its more fun to do it yourself & get a snack out of it! You only need a pumpkin, salt, and olive oil! It is a healthy and delicious snack that is just so homey & festive!

Here is the Roasted Pumpkin Seed recipe: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/toasted_pumpkin_seeds/

Pumpkin Seeds
Alyssa Robertson Case / Spoon

Overall fall is a time for fun, festivities, and indulging in the seasonal flavors. With so many fresh and yummy ingredients it is so hard to pick just a few recipes. I hope that this list allows you to try something new, and give you a break from everyday. Even if you aren’t a great cook, being able to try new things and just have some fun in the kitchen is a great experience!

Until next time,

HCXO,

Maddie Rose <3

Maddie Engleman

Millersville '24

Hello! I'm Maddie Engleman; A bit about me: I am a super senior at Millersville University this year, graduating spring '24. This fall is my 7th semester writing for HC which is so cool! I am an Early Childhood Education major and am minoring in General English. I absolutely love kids, writing, reading, cooking/baking, and crafting with my Cricut. I also enjoy spending time around animals! I love being a part of such an empowering platform and get to write pieces that impact people anywhere. HCXO ~ Maddie "Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic." - Albus Dumbledore (J.K. Rowling)