How My Summer Vacation Will Never End: The Senior Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

There is nothing scarier than waking up and realizing you are in the last semester of your college career. The job hunt and graduation loom beyond the next six weeks of grinding and studying to make sure you finish strong, especially if you’re like me and want to give that GPA one more good boost.

The most upsetting part for me was the fact that my summer was spent working…both in an office and on the sales floor at my local electronics store. I was too tired on my days off to go do anything but I had made so much extra money. I still believe that the summer before your final semester should be the most amazing summer you’ve ever had in your entire life. It’s one last time to be a kid before the real world clamps down on your life.

So instead of jam packing everything I want to do before I graduate right into the three months before my final semester, I have taken and planned some pretty awesome weekend trips that will stretch into my last few weeks as a college senior. It gives me something to look forward to right up until the very end. It’s almost like being a musician on their farewell tour.

And it looks kind of like this:

Week before the semester began: Washington D.C.

• Almost all of the monuments and musuems in Washington are free and public transportation is super cheap! My boyfriend and I with a few friends spent the day seeing the sights and taking some goofy pictures in front of all the monuments. We walked over 27,000 steps too! D.C. has so much to offer and is all really cost effective. I hope to go back again around October for some of the cultural festivals.

Week after the semester began: Labor Day in Long Island, NY

• I got really lucky that my boyfriend’s family is originally from Long Island. I am spending a relaxing Labor Day holiday by the pool and exploring all the little shops and sights this secret gem has to offer. We are finishing our little get-away with friends at a Yankee Game in the Bronx before cruising back through the Holland Tunnel back into PA. 

End of September – NYC!

• After quite an eventful summer bouncing in and out of the city that never sleeps, I’ll be heading back up to be with my Her Campus ladies at College Fashion Week! This one of a kind event will showcase all college women in an empowering event showing off the latest fall fashions and make-up trends. We will also get to catch up with Lisa Mayor, the CEO of My Social Campus, and one of our favorite connections from Her Conference in July!

Early October – Media Summit at Millersville

• As student chair of a conference being hosted at my university, I will be the hostess with the mostess for all our speakers and sponsors showcasing their skills and stories to students during Fall Break. I will probably also be speaking at my own session regarding my work with an independent musician.

End of October – Timeflies in Philly!

• My favorite independent duo, Timeflies will be doing a show in Philadelphia on October 30th, and with general admission tickets being under $50, I can’t miss the opportunity to see them especially when I know almost all the freestyle lyrics to most of their songs.

November – Penn State Football in Happy Valley!

• November is usually the time the we run up to State College and pretend to be Nittany Lions for the day! After the game, we hit downtown and grab some great made to order stir-fry at Green Bowl and we never forget some Creamery Ice Cream…even if it’s flurrying. Peachy Paterno is good anytime.

December – Graduation

• With all the excitement of finishing strong, December will be dedicated to finals week and commencement. I love the Ville and I know I’ll want to celebrate with my family and friends that kept me here at home in the first place. I’ll definitely hit the Sugar Bowl and walk George Street a few times to try and get it all out of my system. There will be tears for sure!

So seniors, don’t feel like your adventures ever have to end just because you have to hit the books and find a job. Life is always an adventure and you don’t have to spend tons of money or cram it all in at one time to make the most of it. Go out strong and enjoy it! 

Cayla Pavlovec

Millersville

As a Speech Communication major with an option in Public Relations, it's only natural that I write and inform my publics of the latest and greatest things out there. I am new to Her Campus Millersville this semester and hope you'll enjoy my articles in the mix of all this fabulous talent.Here are a few things about me... - I love sports, music and technology. My weekends are often spent adjusting fantasy football line-ups or checking out a concert. - My guilty pleasures include slushies, sweatpants and binge watching Friends. - I am inspired by my professors and Ronda Rousey on a regular basis. They always remind me to stay passionate. - My favorite foods are burritos. There are many foods within a burrito and they are AMAZING together.  - I swear by the fabulous things I find on Pintrest and love to go on road trips with my boyfriend. Not to mention I can often be caught watching cartoons, especially Phinaes and Ferb, because I refuse to ever let go of my inner child. It inspires my imagination and curiousity. Those are what got me into media in the first place. I have to share that magic. Please enjoy! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3