How Can You Help Children With Cancer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Everyone knows that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but few know that September is actually Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. According to the American Cancer Society and the American Childhood Cancer Organization, one-in-five children will die of cancer. In the United States alone, 43 children are diagnosed with cancer every day and more children die from cancer than any other disease. Cancer treatment has certainly come a long way in the past few decades, but there is still much work to be done. Researchers are working to develop treatments with less and hopefully no long-term side effects such as liver failure, infertility, vision and hearing loss, and others. But of course their main goal is to eradicate childhood cancer.

One of the biggest advocates for aiding and curing childhood cancer is Four Diamonds in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Four Diamonds understands the burden on a family when their child gets sick, and knows that the last thing they should be worried about is how are they going to pay the astronomical medical bills. That’s where they make a huge difference, paying 100% of medical bills of patients getting treatment at Penn State’s Children Hospital. Families never even have to see a bill. They also provide food and gas vouchers for hospital visits, emotional/music therapy for the children, and continue research so that one day this awful disease can be terminated.

How can you help Four Diamonds on their mission? Donate and get involved. The hyperlink above leads to the Four Diamonds website where you can donate directly and take a look at the awesome things they do. Getting involved is easy as well! Maybe you’ve heard of Penn State’s annual THON? THON is a 46 hour dance marathon at Penn State’s main campus, and the money raised goes to Four Diamonds. Since 1977, THON has raised over $157 million to conquer childhood cancer. Many elementary and secondary schools have started doing Mini-THONs, a dance marathon at their school for a few hours (usually overnight). At the collegiate level, Four Diamonds has just started Team FTK (For The Kids). Team FTK is simply various fundraisers and events to raise money for Four Diamonds. Millersville has a Team FTK!

If you don’t have time to join another club, donate to Four Diamonds, Team FTK, local Mini-THONs, or THON.  I have been involved with Mini-THON in high school and now Team FTK for a collective five years, and I can honestly say it is the most rewarding experience of my life. Tell your friends about it! Together we can conquer childhood cancer!

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3