This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I love tattoos, I always have ever since I was a kid. Now, I have two of them! My first tattoo was a small sentiment on my wrist that took about 15 minutes from me walking into the shop to me leaving. I knew I wanted a bigger tattoo, and after months of dreaming it up, I finally got it tattooed on my body. Since then, a lot of my friends and acquaintances have been asking me about the process it took from conception to the actual tattoo day. So, I thought I would share the process I went through in order to get my tattoo.

Conception

This is where you come up with an idea of what you want. In this stage you should really figure out what you want, how big, and whether it’s black and white or color. It would also be a good idea to pick where on your body you would want to place it. 

Find an Artist

Finding an artist is probably the hardest step of all. I found my tattoo artist on Instagram by chance. Look for a tattoo artist who specializes in the style of tattoo you want. Look at their work and see if it matches up with the idea in your head. You also want to check and make sure that they are legit and follow all safety controls, you can do this through reviews.

Consultation

Once you find your artists, you’ll probably schedule a consultation appointment. At this appointment, you will discuss your ideas with the artist. They’ll ask questions about placement, color, size, and design. You will most likely pay a deposit for this appointment to ensure that you will come. For me, this was a quick meeting just so my artist could get an idea of what I was looking for. 

Getting Your Tattoo

At your consultation, you will most likely schedule your actual tattoo appointment. There, your artist should show you the finished design and you can make any changes. Always remember that your tattoo artist will not be offended if you make any changes, they want you to be completely happy with what you put on your body. Before this appointment, you should eat a full meal and try to relax. 

Aftercare

Aftercare is arguably the most important part of getting a tattoo. Always listen to your tattoo artist’s instructions and be sure to never touch your tattoo without washing your hands. Remember, this is essentially an open wound. Your tattoo will start to dry and peel about three to five days after you get it. Never pick or scratch at it or else you could disrupt the healing process and possibly ruin your tattoo.

Getting a tattoo can be pretty daunting if you have no idea what you’re getting into. Hopefully this answers many of your questions on what the entire process of getting a tattoo is like. While it may seem like a long process, it is entirely worth it in the end. 

HCXO, Jenna

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3