The Fight for Men’s Cross Country and Track & Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

“Fight.”

It’s one short word but in the Millersville University community, it’s a powerful word.

It’s the same word that was printed on shirts worn not only by members of the cross country and track and field teams but fellow athletes, alumni, students and coaches.

On February 14, it was made known that Millersville would be cutting three of its sports teams; men’s cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field.

Sophomore Tom Melvin explained how the teams were called in for a mandatory meeting and Dr. Aminta Breaux told them the news.

“For me it means losing a gigantic part of my life. Track has always been my drive and the team here at Millersville is my family,” Melvin said. “Without it, I don’t know what I’ll do with myself or if I’ll even stay.”

“We practice with each other, ride on the bus together for hours to meets and we have become a family,” Whitney Savoy, a jumper for the women’s team, explained. “I’m graduating but I know next year for the girls that will still be on the team, it will be very sad without the guys there.”

And Savoy isn’t the only one who feels the teams are a family. Her Campus Millersville was on the scene at the Student Senate meeting where members of the team could make testimonies and plead their case.

“You’re not just hurting the men’s team, you’re also hurting the women,” Savoy said.

Last Thursday, March 22, outside the Student Memorial Center, a rally was held. Several members of the Millersville Community spoke about Governor Corbett’s proposed budget cuts and Millersville’s decision to cut the University’s men’s cross country and track and field teams.

“Fight” t-shirts were being sold at the rally and at one point during the rally, senior Zach Kohler jumped on the Marauder Statue to dress it with its own yellow fight shirt.

But the students and track members aren’t the only ones fighting.

A Millersville University grad offered $300,000 as part of an alumni proposal to run men’s track and cross country for three years while the alumni look for permanent funding. However, the University has rejected the proposal.

If they don’t fight and the decision to cut the teams does not get reversed, then they’ll have to ask another question; what’s next? What will be the next team, academic department or organization to be shown the door?

Students looking to help the cause can do so by writing to legislation. Visit facebook.com/pastudentsvoice to do your part.

“The school motto is ‘Seize the Opportunity,’” Melvin said. “Since we’ve been denied the chance to do it, we must fight for it.”

Photo Source:
Emily Ashlin

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.